Only 12 mpg's!!!

Munkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well my X have the same size tires gets about the same. 12mpgs having 42K on the truck. And when I'm pulling a 4000# trailer I get 9.5 mpg. The sad part is I just put a new air cleaner on my truck and it did nothing. The only good part is when I had my F250 w/ a V10 and a 4.30 gear I got 6.2 mpg pulling a trailer so I guess it was worth getting a diesel ??? :dunno

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may want to consider an air intake. i got about 1 mpg better when i put mine on. i bet you got the 4.11's those gears are only good for towing, nothin else. check it out and if you do, their arent to expensive to change, if u do it urself.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '02 with 38/15.5R20's running 4.56 gears and I average 16-18 mpg on the highway and intown about 12-14 mpg. With a trailer in tow (7500lbs) on the highway I average about 10-12 mpg. I have found that mpg getter is all in the right foot.

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Winter diesel fuel use will result in lower mpgs. I saw a 2 mpg drop went we went to winter fuel.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses!

I just replaced the air filter so I don't think thats it. I don't know what gears I have, but I will look into that. It sounds as though it may be worth switching gears if I can gain 5 mpg.

I will admit.......I have only had the truck for 4 months so I do tend to have my foot in it........just a little. :sly

Anyone have any 3.73 gears for sale?????

Thanks again!!

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Has your speedometer been corrected for your larger tires? I have the same size tires as you with no speedo correction and my mileage is of 10%. That alone could up your MPG about 2 miles per gallon. I consistently run 16 MPG mixed driving and close to 20 just freeway driving. Winter time I take a hit of about 1-2 mpg on my highway MPG and about 1 around town.

Trapper

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Ya know........I should go get that done at the stealership. I wonder how much they are going to charge me for that?!?!?!

Huh....just called 3 different places here in town. They ranged from $84 to $154.

Last edited:

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Huh....just called 3 different places here in town. They ranged from $84 to $154.
That would make a nice down payment on a programmer or diagnostic program that you could adjust the tire size yourself with.
Jim

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironmerganser, Your truck stock should have 3.73 gears. The right gear for a 315/75R16 is a 4.11 ratio. Regearing your truck shouldn't help the feul mileage too much but it is easier on the drivetrain and helps with acceleration.

If you are looking for useful 4x4 calculators check out texas-offroad.com

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl