Opinions on AFE stage 1 system

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my birthday my wife bought me the aFe stage one system. I was wanting an air intake, so the gift was awesome, but I am wondering if this is a good system. All it appears to be is a replacement of the filter, and the oval housing.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I have no opinion pro or con on the AFE Stg I but I know that the stock 6.0 intake is a pretty darn good unit as it is.

jwplunkett

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am not an expert in the Air Filtration field but I do know that extreme caution must be taken in selecting and installing an Air Filtration replacement system
-So may variables to take in account
-If only looking for performance and not necessarily Clean air than great
-However for engine protection and longivity the two must be balanced
-I myself was looking at replacing my Factory Stock air
-But after doing my independent research I decided to stay Stock air system and use the money on the Exhaust side ( Banks or MagnaFlow ) a person can get better performance for the dollar in my humble viewpoint with upgrading exhaust --- plus wont need to care about filtration
-However if I was ever to one day purchase a Air intake for factory replacement --- I would purchase the S&B Filter kit --- take a look at web link S&B Filters --- read the technical specs and notice they test to ISO 5011 and have hard data to back-up their claims --- S&B in my viewpoint does a good job of balancing the Clean air filtration with volume of air
-My suggestion would be to take the AFE back and apply dollars to Upgraded exhaust system
-AFE makes some pretty bold marketing claims --- but were is the technical data to back it up with --- how clean truly is the air --- dirty air will damage your Turbo and internal engine parts big time if dont select proper Filter

Just my two cents worth --- hope this helps a bit

Have a great one

John from Colfax NC

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
For my birthday my wife bought me the aFe stage one system. I was wanting an air intake, so the gift was awesome, but I am wondering if this is a good system. All it appears to be is a replacement of the filter, and the oval housing.

I have an AFE stage 1. If you use it, do yourself a favor and do the zoo-dad mod while your under the hood. The plastic snorkel of the AFE can then be wrapped with several layers of screen at the opening to keep debris from entering. I noticed a slight difference using it, but with the zoo-dad mod you will lower your egt's a little. Also, on mine I put some extra weather strip foam around the top of the housing so it seals against the hood when its closed. Plan on cleaning and re-oiling twice a year. And if your wife went thru the trouble of getting you that for your birthday, you have an awesome wife and an awesome gift.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do have a great wife.

After installing the filter I am very happy, and plan on doing the zoo-dad mod in the future. So far the only thing i dont like about the filter is knowing that i have to take the entire intake system apart justto clean the filter.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
i do have a great wife.

After installing the filter I am very happy, and plan on doing the zoo-dad mod in the future. So far the only thing i dont like about the filter is knowing that i have to take the entire intake system apart justto clean the filter.

Can you post a pic? Sounds like we have different systems. Mine just comes off with a hose clamp right thru the top opening.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
51-10391ais.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14