Optima battery info

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was at the mall yesterday with Maggie (she was shopping, I was trying not to drop over dead from boredom) I went to the Auto section of Sears to check out their prices on Optima batteries. The salesman there pointed out that since Optima red tops are smaller than lead-acid batteries with the same CCA's, they are now shipping with a set of adapters to bolt into the factory locations on most American vehicles. I didn't open a set up, but they're plastic cleats that screw onto the base of the Optima battery and project out a little farther so that the stock Ford hold-down will fit. I thought that was pretty neat and so Optimas have moved up on the list for when I replace the batteries next October or so. So, if you're in the market for Optima batteries and the ones you're looking at don't come with the adapters, ask for them and save some work trying to make a hold-down clamp that will fit.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
My Sears salesman wasn't soo knowledgeable. I didn't notice the bottom of the receipt had them listed. Now they won't get me a set!:cussing:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Motorcrafts fit fine without adapters. They also last over ten years and never leak or let me down:sweet . Do I sound like a Motorcraft salesman?:sorry I am not but I swear by the Motorcraft batteries and will not buy anything else.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
My Motorcrafts lasted 4 years in my truck and 5 years in the wife's Explorer. I consider that "normal" battery life. 10 Years is FAR from normal and I would say you got real lucky. I bought Interstates that leak a little causing corosion on the terminals, but so did the Motorcrafts. Wish I had got the Optimas though. I got cheap at the last minute.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
glad it wasnt just me that got great service from the stock motorcraft batteries
65k on my 2002 truck
7 years on my 1992 f250

I think preventive maintenance is teh key,
ensuring fully charged, clean terminals, etc etc

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
glad it wasnt just me that got great service from the stock motorcraft batteries
65k on my 2002 truck
7 years on my 1992 f250

I think preventive maintenance is teh key,
ensuring fully charged, clean terminals, etc etc

I've been pleased with the stock Motorcraft batts so far, but by October/November of next year, mine will have ~75K on them, plus they'll be 5 years old so I'm going to replace them instead of getting stranded out hunting or at work (whereever that will be) where I can't plug in. Maybe the reason mine have done well to this point is that I keep them charged/clean.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My '93 F-350 would only get 2 years on ANY battery. I changed the starter thinking it was the starter and it turned out to be the batteries. My 04 f_350 is already past two years on the Motorcraft batteries.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford alternators have been known to put out just marginal charge...
so it's usually been the charging system not the battery that has caused me issues....

but I've always heard from others that the Optimas were not worth the premium price they are going for....
just what i heard anyways....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg