Out of Fuel

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
Just a Newbie question here.

I've got a 2006 PSD and as I'm unfamiliar with the low fuel warning and how much I can trust it, I've been playing with my mileage. For example, I let it run down to 3/4 of a tank, fill up see how many gallons that takes, then do the same with 1/2 tank, 1/4 tank, etc. However, I've never had it warn me that I was low on fuel.

The question is how hard is it to restart one of these if it runs completely out of fuel? Other diesels that I'm familiar with were a genuine pain and you needed at least two booster cars to jump start them. Basically, you had to refill all of the fuel rails and stuff. However, those didn't have electric pumps in the tank. Anyone ever run one completely dry? I'm almost afraid to push down to that 1/8 tank based on the numbers that I've been putting in at 1/4 tank.

Thanks

Richard:confused:

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have always heard that the worst thing that you can do is run a diesel out of fuel. On my truck, the low fuel warning light comes on at about 1/8th of a tank. I try to fuel up at 1/4 tank. If I see fuel for a lower than normal price I stop and fill up no matter where the level is at.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
my "hey dummy your about out feul light" comes on at around 80 or so miles left.
usually i can put in to the top of the filler neck close to 34 gallons
my miles to empty this morning said 115, so i expect about home to get a light.
as far as running this turkey out of fuel.
well you got an electric fuel pump and after a few key on, key on key on cycles to reprime the system, without turning over the engine, she should start up, may run rough a little.

you feel a weird thing just as she starts getting low and pushing air. the injector nosies will increase. thats a good sign your starting to possible hurt them
unlike the older mechanical injectors, there is really no bleeding required
except by your wallet if this becomes an often problem

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day I was driving my son's 2000 F350 and not very familiar with it, low fuel light comes on on level interstate highway. Less than 15 miles I was out of fuel. Not all truck gauges work the same.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
wow thats a big curve, should have left you a few more than that.
his light should be a " I am about to stop ...NOW light"

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
FYI.......... Im sure you all know it but it bears repeating. Running out of fuel is hard on your HUEI injectors. Parts break and pistons score.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
FYI.......... Im sure you all know it but it bears repeating. Running out of fuel is hard on your HUEI injectors. Parts break and pistons score.

After reading some archives "somewhere's" I try not to get below 3/8ths. Truck gets way noisier after that. But I also have a cackle pig.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
threejacks said:
Low fuel light comes on on level interstate highway. Less than 15 miles I was out of fuel.

Instead of being a LOW FUEL light, it should be a "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE ABOUT TO FIND YOURSELF UP THE CREEK" light.:eek:

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their reply. Bottom line is DON'T DO IT! Hurting parts in my new truck is a bad NO NO. It takes me 25 gallons to fill up from 1/4 tank but I can drive for quite a while before she comes down from the full mark after the fill-up. Therefore, I'm going to guess that I've got one that means you're really OUT when she points to E.

ShraderMan
:hail

Reaction score
Mine also comes on around 80 miles left. Sometimes though depending on where my hand is on the wheel I may not notice it right away. Although I have never technically run out of fuel - at least once I know of I had to be sucking air.

Noticed the light on with about 25 miles to go - barely made it to the closest station I knew of - I had gone 28 miles and the overhead said 0 as I pulled in to the station.

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14