Overdrive switch question.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the overdrive switch work? Im asking because I installed a new column shifter I robbed from a 94 lincoln continental. In my 01 SD there are 3 wires coming from the overdrive switch, I used my voltage tester to see which wire did what, I had a constant, one that had power only when the overdrive switch is pushed, and one that had power when the OD light is on.

Now on my shifter out of the lincoln I have 2 wires, both white, and no OD light. Now if the overdrive switch is simply a "ground interrupter" or simply completes the circuit then I re wired it correct to accommodate the lack of OD light, If not, then my overdrive wont work

Am I causing any kind of damage if my overdrive switch isnt working? :dunno

Heres a quick pic of what it looks like.

Photo-0209.jpg

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It might work.
All the switch does is sent a 12v signal to the PCM that you're requesting an overdrive cancel..

The lamp on the OE shifter is controlled by the PCM, grounding the lamp side of the circuit..

There is a hot at all times wire going into the switch; The dropping resistor and lamp is on one branch circuit, and the switched wire to the PCM is the other..

here's a PDF of the system for my truck.. yours is probably similar..

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
You realize you can buy a new shift lever at Ford for around $40-$50.

Tbar

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JL. So when I push the switch button and my voltage tester turns on, that is the switch sending a signal to the PCM? in that case it should be working. I plan on re routing a light for my OD on/off light.

As for Tbar, I am aware I can get a new shift lever relatively cheap, but I also picked up a signal switch I just need to mod the resisters to work with my wipers. I got the set for $30.00

Photo-0210.jpg

This is strictly for modding and customization, since its still considered OEM, and its basically identical, but its still "luxury", but not over the top. Its different from anyone elses truck and thats what appeals to me. My factory shifter was still perfect.

If you werent a mod I would have been a little more rude as your response had nothing to do with my question. :nono::sauced:lmao But I dont need to be banned ha ha! Thanks for the response though. It may help someone else in the future.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks JL. So when I push the switch button and my voltage tester turns on, that is the switch sending a signal to the PCM? in that case it should be working. I plan on re routing a light for my OD on/off light.

As for Tbar, I am aware I can get a new shift lever relatively cheap, but I also picked up a signal switch I just need to mod the resisters to work with my wipers. I got the set for $30.00

Photo-0210.jpg

This is strictly for modding and customization, since its still considered OEM, and its basically identical, but its still "luxury", but not over the top. Its different from anyone elses truck and thats what appeals to me. My factory shifter was still perfect.

If you werent a mod I would have been a little more rude as your response had nothing to do with my question. :nono::sauced:lmao But I dont need to be banned ha ha! Thanks for the response though. It may help someone else in the future.

Still good? Well, hell... put it in a box and send it to me.. mine's sloppier than Aunt Edna's birthday kiss..

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still good? Well, hell... put it in a box and send it to me.. mine's sloppier than Aunt Edna's birthday kiss..

Ha ha, Ill let you know, my buddy is coming over and we are going to mod that signal switch and double triple check to make sure my OD switch is working right. if it is, you pay shipping and its yours. the only thing is I clipped the wires to maintain to OD light wire. so theyll need to be spliced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58