Overheating?

The Extractor

Breaker of parts.
Reaction score
Smartass mode off.

No hard feelings Dave ?

Please explain to me how the fan is a non issue considering in my case I have none of the suggested signs a HG failure?:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No hard feelings.

Our trucks don't use the fan under normal driving. The fan clutch does not engage the fan until the coolant temperatures reach some point, 200°+. I don't know the specific engagement temperature, but it is hot. Diesel engines like to be run hot, unlike a gas engine. They are a lot more efficient when hot. Everyone is programmed (the people that is) to want to cool their engines down if it is a little bit hot. I am not saying that you DON"T have a problem. But I can't point to it. Fan- on-when-driving-uphill-under-load is not alarming in itself. Does your temperature gauges show a HOT temperature? How hot? As Big Joe pointed out the factory gauges are a joke and are really warning lights. They are on or off, but they don't really show the temperatures. They are computer controlled. Ok, where does all of this leave you? I don't know with what you have told us. I am still guessing that you may have a Head Gasket problem that you are not aware of. Drive it until it blows or not.

Dave:dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with what daveben said. I'd start with the EZ replacement parts like T-stat. It could be stuck and not opening all the way.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with what daveben said. I'd start with the EZ replacement parts like T-stat. It could be stuck and not opening all the way.

... and along with the new T-stat ?.. Flush & Change the Coolant and put on a new radiator cap. Then get your cooling system Pressure Tested.

A new fan clutch would be the next thing... if those 5 things don't remedy the issue.. at least you've eliminated the External (easy) things.. you can do yourself. From there (?) it would almost Have to Be.. Internal (HG's?). :dunno

Joe

How does the coolant look ? Coolant Brand meet the Ford/IH specs ? Ever test it for being on spec for heat/cool capability ? Any coolant puddles under the truck.. Cold ?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You might add the Water Pump to that list, or at least check it to make sure it is pumping. Then it is HGs.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
When I go slowly up a twisty hill my truck overheats almost instantly. The fan clutch feels ok but I am thinking and elec problem with it.. Any ideas ? Rad fins look clear. I replaced the t-stat in Dec but no probs on a 1k mile trip to CA and back.
Have you had this truck since new? If not, do you know the history of it(Oasis Report)? Any driveability concerns other than this uphill load overheat? Losing coolant periodically, or only recently on uphills? Original oil cooler? Original EGR cooler? What kind of boost #'s are you seeing when going up these twisty hills? Lack of power? What's your differential in EOT & ECT? Has your coolant system ever been flushed? Have you or previous owner installed a coolant filter; if so, when?.... Unfortunatley; as others have mentioned, coolant puke under load often turns out to be H.G.'s, but sure hope it's just clogged/slow coolant flow. Bob

The Extractor

Breaker of parts.
Reaction score
Had the truck sine jan 7 2008.

Any driveability concerns other than this uphill load overheat? No not really. Losing coolant periodically, or only recently on uphills? Only really recently on hills. Original oil cooler? AFAIK Original EGR cooler? Pretty sure not. EGR Unplugged. What kind of boost #'s are you seeing when going up these twisty hills? No boost guage. Lack of power? No. What's your differential in EOT & ECT? Dont know what these are.Has your coolant system ever been flushed?
Not by me.

I replaced the fan clutch but havent had a slow hill to test it on yet. I am
99.9% sure that is/was the problem because it was leaking sticky goo and when I finally got it removed it spun pretty freely. Oh I also replaced the degas cap for fun.

Last edited:

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
These trucks were made to work hard. Load it up/hook it up and go find a steep hill on a hot day if you want to see if you fixed it. But; as anyone here on this site will tell you, monitoring your EGT's(exhaust gas temperatures),ECT(engine coolant temp.), EOT(engine oil temp.), Fuel Pressure, Boost Pressure, are all important. Also, if your problem continues, they have a test kit to see whether exhaust gases are mingling w/ your coolant. If at all possible, get the history of your 6.0. We have a great strong engine, but had/have some issues. Maintenance and monitoring are most important w/our 6.0's. Especially an 03', the first year out for this International VT365 in our Powerstrokes. Hind Sight Hint:(They should have used head studs from the start)

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Oh..... And they should have cleaned out all the casting sand from the blocks much better.
It clogged up and ruined many an oil cooler and EGR cooler (overheat). But so did contaminated and/or unmaintained coolant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg