P/S Fluid Filter - Install

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a worthwhile mod or filter install for your P/S fluid system.

We filter the air, oil, tranny and some of us the coolant.... but what about the P/S fluid?:sweet

Here is a great, low cost and easy to install filter set-up. i bought the 3/8" sized filter for my 2003. Not sure if all model years are the same, but they are available in 3/8", 1/2" and 5/16" depending on application and sizes of P/S hose.

The same filter is Ford aproved for the transmission and is part of a service update for rebuilt Tourqushift transmissions... but works great on the P/S fluid.

The 6.0L set-up is easy as there are three hoses into the P/S fluid resavoir. The large one is the supply line to the P/S pump and the middle one is the low-pressure return line from the pump and the other is the low-preassure one from the brake hydraboost system.

I originally was going to install on the low-pressure line from the P/S pump, but clearance with ither hoses was too tight... so I spliced into the hydraboost line (same fluid and same flow)... will still filter my P/S fluid.

I used the MAGNEFINE brand of P/S fluid filter. The photos below show the size (larger than I expected) so I compared it to a Coke can (so you can all see). The other photos show the lines I spoke about above.

The filter costs between $15.00 - 26.75/ea depending on which site you buy from. For me, this low of a cost made it a no-brainer for me to install. It has a magnet and filter media, along with a by-pass valve if the filter clogs up!!

Here are some links to look at:

Main Magnefine website (Austrailia):
Welcome to the Australian Magnefine Website

US office the company above:
Boss USA

Great info on this site with photo's:
Wingate brake and steering centre

Sites that sell the Magnefine P/S filter:
Mooneyes

Power Steering Magnetic Filter Kit

Magnefine--Your Source For Magnefine Inline Filters

Good luck and enjoy... I am.:tounge

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the installation pictures... quick and simple!!

The hydraboost line is easy to get at and if I ever needed to return the system to stock, it would take me 10 minutes a section of hose to do so.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
you could be the 'guinea pig' on this one. and i am sure lots of others may be interested as i am on results.

how often will you be changing the filter?

nice write up too!!
let us know findings?

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could be the 'guinea pig' on this one. and i am sure lots of others may be interested as i am on results.

how often will you be changing the filter?

nice write up too!!
let us know findings?

They state once a year or 30-50,000 miles.

I drained flushed my P/S system last year (bought 1 gallon of fluid) by sucking out 1 qt at a time over 3 days and refilling each time. Figured by then all was clean fresh fluid? This year, I just sucked out the P/S reservoir tank and drained it... installed the filter and refilled with +1qt of fresh fluid.

I was figuring that any sediment only moves through the system when under pressure... so the filter is key to get it all out when fluid is moving the sediment and metal shavings.

I figure I may not have much to filter out... but I still like knowing it is there getting something... which is better than not having one. I like the fact that it has a by-pass valve, so if it does clog up, I do not loose pressure in the P/S & hydraboost system.

To answer your question... I will change the filter once a year.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this up as I have to possibly have to replace the PS unit on our 7.3L and the filter will be a must do for sure;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14