P0284 trouble code

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck has been having a slight miss on number 8 and doesn't set the check engine light. I did the cylinder contribution test and found the p0284 code. I bought a new VC harness and gasket and installed it on the left side, it helped for a couple days and then it was back. The international mechanic said #8 was on the leftside sitting in the drivers seat on the back of the engine. I was wondering if an injector coil could be bad or the mechanic told me wrong. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Your injector could be bad. The tech is right about number 8 being back driver's side.

If you don't wanna buy an injector you could try to swap plugs from the harness with the adjacent cylinder or swap injectors all together with another cylinder to see if the fault follows that injector. If it does, that injector is bad.

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought an injector could be the problem, isn't number 8 supposed to be a long lead, I thought I read about that sometime. The wire from the computer out doesn't cause problems does it. Could make for an oppritunity for bigger injectors too.
Thanks

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
In order to check wiring you need to run an "injector buzz" test. It will buzz all the injectors and then one at a time. If #8 has a wiring prob it will buzz all the others to not cause damage to the IDM.

2000 model year was when they started to install the LL. You may or may not have it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl