p0402 code (egr)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got this code today on startup, cleared it, then it came on again on the next startup. what do you guys think is likely? egr cleaning is in order?

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
PO402 means it's time to delete the EGR valve & cooler. Or... like you said, clean it and the hole in the manifold.

Last edited:

essexjet

Lost
Reaction score
got this code today on startup, cleared it, then it came on again on the next startup. what do you guys think is likely? egr cleaning is in order?

Mine just threw P0404 code with the check engine light on. I pulled the EGR out and man it was a mess. Cleaned it and vacuumed out as much as I could and the truck feels completely different like a brand new truck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine just threw P0404 code with the check engine light on. I pulled the EGR out and man it was a mess. Cleaned it and vacuumed out as much as I could and the truck feels completely different like a brand new truck.

See today's, "What did you do to your truck today" Sticky Thread.. shows, in Living Color.. what to do for a P0404 code.

;):)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup the cleaning did it. the egr was a little sticky to get out, so I ended up using a 2 jaw slide hammer and it popped right out. it was super sooty, I cleaned it up and changed the o-rings/gasket and away I went. thanks
Krist

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture.php

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
When you all say you clean the EGR valve, how do you clean it? What do you clean it with?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I used a very small (toothbrush size) wire brush and some carb cleaner. Do not soak the EGR in carb cleaner just use it as a solvent to get it clean.

Dave

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also used a tiny brass bristled wire brush, and a dental pick, both for the valve and the hole in the manifold. I used a vacuum to get the loose soot out of the manifold. Most of the crap was in the top port of the manifold. you could probably soak just the bottom of the egr(the valve part), but it looks like the actuator part has weep holes in the bottom and I imagine the electronics in there don't like solvents. Red 6 0-no had a nice little writeup in one of his posts that i found and used as a guide. Easy job though, maybe took 15 minutes or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58