Passenger Valve Cover Removal

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for removing the passenger side valve cover? I'm working on replacing the glow-plugs but it looks to me like all the AC stuff makes that side look a bit daunting.
Thanks!

condon66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I did my glow plugs about a month ago, my buddy and I both agreed that the pass. side was actually easier. Get yourself a good QUALITY universal for those cover bolts that are hard to reach. You can test your plugs individually at the uvc connector. Pull the conn. apart and touch the two forward and two rear pins with a multimeter. If they are toasted they will show an infinite reading. You will probably see a "1" all the way to the left on your screen. I had five burnt out and replaced them all and my starting prob is gone. 12 degrees this morn and fired like nothin.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If memory serves how I got it done about 15 months ago, removing (unscrew) the oil filler tube helped a lot. Having a 1/4" drive ratchet with a universal joint was vital also. There were one or two valve cover bolts on the bottom side that were better acessed from the rt front wheel well.

The passenger side was definately more of a PITA than the driver's side.

condon66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If memory serves how I got it done about 15 months ago, removing (unscrew) the oil filler tube helped a lot. Having a 1/4" drive ratchet with a universal joint was vital also. There were one or two valve cover bolts on the bottom side that were better acessed from the rt front wheel well.

The passenger side was definately more of a PITA than the driver's side.

There is no reason to remove the wheel and fender well. Why make more work for yourself? All there is to remove on pass. side is one intercooler tube and the dipstick does not have to be completely removed. This is less than drivers side.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There is no reason to remove the wheel and fender well. Why make more work for yourself? All there is to remove on pass. side is one intercooler tube and the dipstick does not have to be completely removed. This is less than drivers side.

Didn't have to remove a thing. I just stuck my head into the fenderwell and reached my arm in with the ratchet. No extra work involved at all.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I got the job done. I did find the Passenger side MUCH more difficult than the drivers and I don't think I could have done it without a good universal and reaching in through the wheel well.
Thanks again!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Thanks guys I got the job done. I did find the Passenger side MUCH more difficult than the drivers and I don't think I could have done it without a good universal and reaching in through the wheel well.
Thanks again!

:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

condon66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Maybe my air ratchet is what made it easier for what it seemed to have been for you guys.? ZIP ZIP DONE!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how many of the plugs were toasted?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14