PCM conversions?

skertin3rd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an early model "99 CA truck and cannot find tuning for my computer. What would I need to do to convert to a 99.5-'01 49 state PCM? What problems will I encounter? Thanks

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read very little about it...but I did do some research on different PCMs a couple of months ago. I found some discussions on other diesel forums....I think it was about blue chip??? or something like that, getting better fuel milage with them. I dont think you would have any problems with it other than getting caught with it.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you mean the blue cps? it effectively advanced the timing a bit, but the consensus was it did very little.

sketrin- do you currently HAVE tunes from jody? he would be the best one to talk to about pcm differences and what you can do with them.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I got a 99.5 PCM for my early 99 which I originally bought from DP-Tuner. It had a 80hp econo tune on it which ran like a raped ape. A big improvement was with the tranny operation. I was never happy with the shifting strategy of the early 99 OEM PCM tuning. The improvement was greatly appreciated and needed. Aside from the performance and shifting improvements, another difference was the cruise control indicator on the dash now worked.

As I felt the need to further feed my addiction more with things like single shot injectors and hotter tuning, I eventually got tuning from Power Hungry Performance on both the pcm and chip.

I'm pretty sure DP-Tuner can still set you up with a PCM with 99.5 tuning on it. Bill @ Power Hungry Performance might be able to help you out too.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure DP-Tuner can still set you up with a PCM with 99.5 tuning on it. Bill @ Power Hungry Performance might be able to help you out too.[/QUOTE]

By getting a "chip", the chip has the pcm code on it. So when the chip is in, you have the new code, take it out, back to the old one. Bill at PHP is one of the best. Can't complain with my tunes!:sweet

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There is a different cpu inside the pcm between an early 99 and a 99.5. The 99.5 is a more advanced computer and has more refined programing. That is why the 99.5 pcm programming runs better and is a sought after mod for early 99's.

Because the cpu and programing is different between early 99's and 99.5's, the chips & programing is different for aftermarket (tuner) chips.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14