PCM plug problems..

tabdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an '06 6.0. I've installed an Edge products programer w/ the attitude. It's been working pretty good until recently when it started to shutter really hard at top end and white smoke. Then the throttle stopped working and the engine wouldn't go faster than an idle. So, I took the truck to the dealership to find out what's wrong. What they found was the PCM plugs got water in them, (factory and Edge), and corroded some of the terminals. Ford just removed the Edge and returned the truck to stock. My truck runs, but not good at all. Ford says I'll need a new harness and PCM, for ONLY $2400!! There has to be some way around this...anybody?
Thanks

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
how bad are they corroded? I'm not sure but i know some people have had connectivity issues because of corrosion buildup and they can clean it off may be worth a shot i'm not for sure though because all of mine have been hooked up inside(programmers)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the pin side of the connector shouldn't be a big deal, but you're likely going to be unable to dig the corrosion out of the receptacles ..

as much as it sucks...

might want to try some battery cleaner, rinsing it out with electrical contact cleaner..

tabdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys..
I've sprayed a cleaner into the receptacles and worked it in with a toothbrush, then sprayed an electrical cleaner to dry it out and then put a little bulb (dialetic) grease on with a Q-tip. The truck still acts funny under heavy acceleration. I wonder if it's possible to have shorted something within the PCM?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks guys..
I've sprayed a cleaner into the receptacles and worked it in with a toothbrush, then sprayed an electrical cleaner to dry it out and then put a little bulb (dialetic) grease on with a Q-tip. The truck still acts funny under heavy acceleration. I wonder if it's possible to have shorted something within the PCM?

it could be...
I'd be thinking more along the lines of a splayed connector not making contact...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58