PCM upgrade

389sixpack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To all you programming gurus out there, let me run this by you. I have a FHP2, early 99 California code PCM. Jody (DPTuner) told me he doesn’t know of any successful upgrades of the PCM to a non Calif emissions PCM. As I understand, you just can’t tune and get as much power out of these codes. I saw that FHP2 has been reflashed to a HQN1, but again a Calif 99 emissions code. Has anybody done a PCM upgrade to a non Calif code and what changes I’d need to do to pull off the swap?

POWER STROKE PCM CALIBRATION INFORMATION
YEAR CODE CALIB. MODL TYPE ECM PART # APP. MODULE APP. TEMPLATE
1999 FHP2 9DTA-BKB DPC-432 XC3F-DD 7.3L F-250/350 DIESEL - AUTOMATIC CAL COLD WTR VJAE3K3

1999 HQN1 9DTA-BKB DPC-432 XU2F-TB 7.3L F-250/350 DIESEL - AUTOMATIC CAL COLD WTR VJAE6K4

uncool

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Try the VCQ family codes. I have a set that run real nice.

Marc

uncool

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the NVK may be at the top of the list but in the differant pcm family it might not work at all.

The NVK haveing a DPC of 422, and the FHP/VCQ being a DPC of 432.

Marc

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I changed from the older PCM w/XLE8 to a newer PCM w/ a DP-Tuner tweaked PMT1. Here is a re-print from the "other site" from before I got sick & fed up with it and came over here to stay:

from my post at the "other site":
THANKS JODY, NOW I NEED A NEW SEAT CUSHION!!!
Well, the DP Tuner fairy came in the little brown truck today, bearing a PCM flashed with a Econo/ 80 hp tune. This is the 2nd PCM Jodie sent me.

The first PCM I got last week, had a glitch that caused the torque convertor to lockup as soon as you put it into gear, immediately stalling the engine. I called Jody and he had another one on it's way that same day. Jody's customer service= :thumbs :thumbs

So like I said, 2nd PCM comes today. I had indicated in another post , that it took me about 10 minutes to swap PCM's. I lied, it only took me 7 minutes. I get Jody's PCM installed and head for the highway. I turn onto the highway, apply light pressure to the "Go Pedal" and I instantly hear this horrendous sound of rubber being removed from the rear tires. So I let up on my right foot and try again. This time with even less pressure from my right foot.

I come to a stop sign, and think to myself "OK, lets see if this DP-Tuner guy is all he is cracked up to be." Well, I slowly roll through the intersection, and the right foot goes to the floor. "DDDDDAAAAAMMMMMNNNN!!!!!" I've been driving this truck for 5 1/2 years and it has NEVER moved like this, even with the Banks chip!! My arse gets pressed into the seat so hard, I think I killed what was left of the cushion. I look in the passenger side mirror & there is light to moderate smoke coming out the exhaust. Not bad, but enough to let folks know this is a truck to be reckoned with.

Boost: most I usually see with the Banks chip- 22, 24 on a good day. Observed boost with the DP-Tuner Econo PCM- 28 psi!!!! THIS TRUCK HAS NEVER SEEN THAT MUCH BOOST BEFORE!! And this wasn't even an optimal day either! On a better day weather wise, it would likely go higher than that. Keep in mind also, this is an early build 99 with a tiny, "stock-as-the-day-it-was-born" turbo!! I only went for a 10 mile or so test drive, so obviously mpg observations will have to wait. But for now: :burnit :hail :sweet

on edit: P.S. Anybody remember where that thread was about replacement seat cushion foam recently? Seriously, I need a new one. Albeit is more due to 260,000+ miles and not Jody's chip.

There wasn't a damn thing I had to do for the "upgrade" other than swapping the PCM's out, a straight up "bolt-in" exchange. Just make sure your key IS NOT IN THE IGNITION!!

389sixpack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this gives me somewhere to get started.

389sixpack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
uncool said:
Perhaps the NVK may be at the top of the list but in the differant pcm family it might not work at all.

The NVK haveing a DPC of 422, and the FHP/VCQ being a DPC of 432.

Marc
Yes, thanks, the FHPs are DPC 432's but I checked out the VCQ's:

POWER STROKE PCM CALIBRATION INFORMATION
YEAR CODE CALIB. MODL TYPE ECM PART # APP. MODULE APP. TEMPLATE

1999 VCQ0 9DTA-BEA DPC-412 F81F-DB 7.3L F-250/350 DIESEL - AUTOMATIC CAL COLD WTR VHAD8EA

Looks like they are all DPC-412's and still Cali code.

Is there a source to figure out the compatability of the PCMs and the DTC-xxx codes? Maybe different pinouts, etc. My engine doesn't have the standard Cali GP brain box and has the extra solenoid like a 49er, so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with.

Is there any other place on vehicle, engine, etc that would tell me the configuration info of codes? Build codes hidden somewhere?

I really want to get a 49 or 50 state PCM running in here and get away from Cali PCM.

Thanks.

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
I went to the PMT-1 just like "tail gunner" no fuss no muss.... easy to swap and very reasonable to buy the new pcm from Jody..... couldnt be happier with the way it worked out....
Note: im not a programmer... I took Jody's advice and am glad I did.

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the California trucks have an electronic glow plug module rather than just a solenoid like non-California trucks.

I believe that's why the PMTn XLEn series PCM's aren't compatible............

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58