Pedal Position Sensor wacked up

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Six months ago I was having to push my pedal down further than I had to prevoiusly to get the RPMs to increase. Then when I was pushing the pedal a little bit the engine would jump up and down in RPMs as if was quickly stomping on and letting of the pedal, but if I pressed it down more to really accelerate it would put out a steady acceleration.

Pulled a code which indicated a bad Pedal Position Sensor. The only source was the dealer for $450 for the entire pedal assembly. Then I did find the just the sensor for $50 that I plugged into the pedal assembly. My pedal performed like it had originally: pressing a little bit gave me even acceleration at any RPM.

Over the past 2 months the old jerking behavior has been coming back which would indicate I need a new sensor again. This makes me think there is another component that is causing the Pedal Position Sensor to go bad.

Any ideas on a solution so I don't have to throw $50 at this every six months?

BigRedWeather

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my 97 did this, I replaced the whole pedal assembly and never had a problem since.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What stroker21 sez ;tu

If you do a little calling 'round from Dealer to Dealer about the cost for that assembly (?), there can be a BIG $ difference, from Dealer to Dealer. :(

$450.00 seems a bit Steap :dunno

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

The advice in this thread Oilburners.net says that this can also be caused by dirt or dust. I pulled the Pedal Position Sensor (PPS) off the truck and blew it out with an air hose. It worked like new, for a week, and is now beginning the same symptoms again.

Your posts indicate that the whole pedal assembly is partly at fault. I will continue to diagnose. I appreciate your input, and I may have to bite the bullet follow it.

BigRedWeather

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

The advice in this thread Oilburners.net says that this can also be caused by dirt or dust. I pulled the Pedal Position Sensor (PPS) off the truck and blew it out with an air hose. It worked like new, for a week, and is now beginning the same symptoms again.
Your posts indicate that the whole pedal assembly is partly at fault. I will continue to diagnose. I appreciate your input, and I may have to bite the bullet follow it.

BigRedWeather

Did you put a little bit of dielectric grease there?. If not, you should try.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thunk of dielectric grease, but didn't put any in. There is no hole into the unit that is visible, but 100 PSI air does make it in. I'm sure better electrical contact would help, but grease that would collect dust might cause other problems. Life is one decision after another.

I have ordered a replacement at no cost and offer this info for others that might benefit if they need to order one.

Ask for the Dorman 699-200 Pedal Position Sensor

Parts Highway
2221 5th Avenue, Ronkonkoma
11779, New York
United States
CALL US: 1-631-580-3442
Fax: 1-631-737-8608
E-Mail: [email protected]

-$52 1 year warranty, if it fails within 1 year they will ship out a new, cost to you $0.

Auto Parts Direct To You- on Ebay
U.S.A.: 1-866-770-2771
699-200 39.99 free ship lifetime

$39.99 Lifetime warranty, if it fails it costs you $15 to get a replacement shipped to you.

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
I thunk of dielectric grease, but didn't put any in. There is no hole into the unit that is visible, but 100 PSI air does make it in. I'm sure better electrical contact would help, but grease that would collect dust might cause other problems. Life is one decision after another.

I have ordered a replacement at no cost and offer this info for others that might benefit if they need to order one.

Ask for the Dorman 699-200 Pedal Position Sensor

Parts Highway
2221 5th Avenue, Ronkonkoma
11779, New York
United States
CALL US: 1-631-580-3442
Fax: 1-631-737-8608
E-Mail: [email protected]

-$52 1 year warranty, if it fails within 1 year they will ship out a new, cost to you $0.

Auto Parts Direct To You- on Ebay
U.S.A.: 1-866-770-2771
699-200 39.99 free ship lifetime

$39.99 Lifetime warranty, if it fails it costs you $15 to get a replacement shipped to you.

I know its impossible to put grease inside the unit, I meant in all the pins in the connectors. I also used compressed air and the grease in the connectors and no problem at all since then.
BTW thaks for the info. ;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58