PH testing;

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I put on my flame suit, Ive ran some searches and haven't found anything conclusive, then again I haven't searched real hard.

I posted a while back I'll be in the market for a used 2000-03 (7.3) SRW 4x4 Powerstroke, which I will be getting at the end of this summer, I've seen recommendations about checking to make sure the coolant has been pH tested and done on a maintenance level basis.

My question is, where can I find some information on how to go about checking myself? Any tell-tale signs of a cooling system in Powerstokes or Diesels for that matter that have not attended to?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
however, the fleetguard strips are expensive as hell. I just ordered a 4 pack that is 10$. For some reason, a pack of 50 is over $400 :eek:

I think regular ph strips will work but the fleetguard ones have some sort of markings that help calculate how much SCA you need. Its guess-work otherwise.

As far as signs, you would have to be able to see the core to see what shape it's in. Check the hoses too.

as a side note - I just had my system flushed and filled, all hoses replaced, and put on a new thermo housing with a 203* thermostat. Totalled $250. Just for reference.

Last edited:

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is testing the coolant just primarily strictly used for diesels? Seems like a newbie question, but I've never really even heard of it until I started to read about diesels.

Since this diesel will be my first diesel, I was more curious on problems strictly from a diesel, I know what to look for overall; just seeking some better advice.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Diesels require cavitation inhibitors. Ford changed from "green" coolant with SCA's that need to be maitained, to "gold" Extended Life Coolant somewhere in 2001 I believe. The ELC doesn't need to be tested like the green but still has SCA's in it.

What ever you buy, read the manual. My '01 came with green and tells me to add a pint of SCA at different intervals in the maintence schedule. Doesn't mention testing levels. I check every other oil change, just adding SCA can lead to an overdosed system which isn't good.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I've spoken to a few diesel owners and they looked at me like I was talking crazy when I asked about testing pH levels in their coolant; and most of these guys are fairly mechanically inclined.

I guess I'll be buying myself some testing strips in the near future then.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I called DIS here in Lubbock. They are out and wont have any for 4 weeks. I didnt call the other stores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl