PIE adaptor

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to getting the PIE system set up on the radio. What a difference! I can actually hear the broadcast now (too quiet before)

FRD04-AUX on the 6 disc system.

Interesting things on the stereo display….

A headphone icon showed up after the PIE was installed, and is always on.
When I hit AUX, I get the PIE and DVD on the display.
If I hit AUX a second time, I get CRSTYL-LINE and AUX displayed.
Both sound great, and it doesn’t seem be make any difference which display is shown.

Questions are:
Does anyone else show these being lit?
Does it matter which should be on?
What is the difference, if there is one, between the two?
And what is with the headphone display?

Everything seems to be working great. Just curious.

Last edited:

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the PIE system setup thing? I never heard of it before. Would this work on an 03 model??

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Flopster843 said:
What exactly is the PIE system setup thing? I never heard of it before. Would this work on an 03 model??
The PIE is an Auxiliary Input Adapter which provides a direct line in to your stock stereo and aftermarket units so you can play your Ipods,satellite radio and other external audio devices into the stereo.
Yes on the 2003 Ford stereo you'll want the FRDN-AUX
As quoted from MyRadiostore.com;
This FRDN-AUX auxilary input converter by Precision Interface Electronics is designed to convert the CD changer port of the Ford OEM radio (with CD changer controls) into auxiliary input. Devices such as XM Satellite Radio, VCR, MP3, Video Game Systems, and DVD can be added to the Ford OEM radio without FM modulation. DPX technology maintains full function of all factory built-in steering wheel and rear seat controls.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
thanks Bill,
I added a little more to clarify the post. Going to call PIE and see what they say about the extra display.

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
FYI
I got my answer from the folks at PIE.

The FRD04-AUX uses the DVD input of the factory Ford radio. The factory DVD unit also has an auxiliary input on the front panel so that you can hook up a camcorder, game system, etc.

Therefore, the radio itself can access two "modes" of this DVD input; DVD and AUX. We only use a single input to the radio, but we have to support the radio's request when this button is pressed again.

Crystal-Line is the name of the audio circuitry that our devices use.

There is no difference between the two modes as far as audio is concerned. The reason that the FRD04-AUX can display one or the other is based on how the radio would respond if the factory DVD player was installed. We mimic the factory DVD behavior.

This issue may be addressed in future FRD04-AUX software updates that are planned to include additional models such as the Fusion and Explorer.

So it seems that it doesnt matter which is displayed.
I still dont know about the headphone symbol though.
But who cares, it sounds GREAT!! :thumbs

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The headphone symbol indicates "REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" The radio can actually play the DVD audio via the headphone outputs provided on factory wiring while Mom and Dad listen to the radio. But since the PIE adaptor doesn't do all of that switching, all it does is turn the headphone indicator on. Neat, huh?

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering about how to integrate my IPod anyway. You all just saved me a bunch of research.

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
Flopster843 said:
Thanks, I was wondering about how to integrate my IPod anyway. You all just saved me a bunch of research.

Flopster. If you go to my link below for Webshots, I have a step by step installation with notes for when I installed my PIE for my I-Pod installation. I also did a section on there for hiding the I-Pod and used a remote on the shifter for the I-Pod operation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58