pillar pods?

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a triple pillar guage pod in grey for a 97 obs? All I have found are black. If not what kind of paint will work? (that won't peel off)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use SEM vinyl and fabric dye. I know it says dye, but it is more like a paint, it is matched to factory interior colors, and you can get it at O'reilly's, or most good paint supply stores. It will stick to that plastic, and will not flake off. This is the real stuff, it is not like some of the other crap. A friend of mine had a perfect dash for his 69 chevelle when he was restoring it, but it was puke green, and he was building a black interior, so he used this stuff on there to paint it black. The resto is 10 years old now, and still no peeling, fading, anything. Also highly recommended by the sales staff at my local ppg paint supplier.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also bought a a black one that I had to paint gray. I couldn't find an exact color-matched paint to our interiors so I bought a generic gray interior paint from Advanced Auto Parts that actually matched about 99%. I had checked a local automotive paint supply store and although they didn't have the paint they had adhesion promoter to use in the prep process. My pod has only been in about 6 months but looks great!

If I had know about the stuff at O'Reilly's that Kristolson wrote about I would have driven across town to get some of that.
I also found after the fact that one of our sponsors, Diesel Manor carries the color matched paint. Whatever way you go, I would suggest the adhesion promoter.

On edit that auto paint supply store offered to color match the paint for me but the cost was way to high, besides the fact that I would have had to buy a sprayer etc...

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just left mine black the rest of the trim pieces are black anyhow but anyhow about ten years ago I had to replace the speaker grills in my mustang and I just used a paint from napa for plastics nothing else adn out side of a few scuff marks from peoples feet the paint still looks great the key with any paint is prep make sure what your painting is clean and free of oil including the oil from your skin

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used SEM Colorcoat on my '05 pillar pod. Matched really well to the medium flint gray interior. It was called Presidio code 15163. Not sure if the OBS interiors were the same gray or not. :dunno Paint went on really well and is holding up with no issues. Cost about $10 for normal sized spray paint can.

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Are all of the pods about the same quality and price? Any brands I should stay away from or look for?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually bought my entire Autometer set-up brand new on ebay for an incredible price, I think it was $202.00. It was a display unit that had a scratch or two on it but I didn't care because I was painting it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58