Pitman arm nut?

OutalineF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm installing a 6" Fabtech 4 link on my truck and for the life of me I can't get the damn pitman arm nut off or even loose.
Is there a special socket or wrench I should use??? I measured it and its 2inches. I've never seen a socket that big. I'm sure the channel locks I'm using aren't the proper tool for removing it but thats the biggest wrench I have.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will need a BIG socket. It is on there with something like 300 foot pounds of torque. Get a breaker bar and some pipe to extend the breaker bar and try it. 3 feet total should get it. Sears will have this stuff. DO NOT USE CHANNEL LOCKS!

Dave

OutalineF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I figured you would have the answer. Do you know the size of the nut? I just read in another thread here that it is 1" 7/8, is this correct?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your going to need a big Pitman arm puller to, there $$$.$$ so you know.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My '04 has a pitman nut of 1.33 " as best as I can measure. That is 1 3/8 inches, but this truck is metric, so that works out to 34mm. NO GUARANTEES on the measurements. Plus you can rent a pitman puller (I use a large bearing puller).

Dave

OutalineF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah I already rented a puller, hope its big enough.

Does anyone know the size??? I measured it to be 2 inches but I also read on here someone doing a lift that it was 1 7/8.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most Auto part stores or tool supply places will let you walk out and try a socket on the truck to confirm it is the correct size.
Of course this will only work if your truck is not in pieces in your drive way.
I don't know if I have any sockets that big here or not. I will check and see if I can get you a proper size.

Edit: biggest wrench I have here is 1 1/4 and it didn't fit.

Last edited:

OutalineF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys....I got it off....it was a 1" 7/8....and good call Dave on the 3 foot pipe, that thing was on tight as hell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg