Planet Ford

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check You PM

Vince, Check your Private message box, it may help.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VinceJE...read some of these HERE...
if the truck doesnt have any codes then they will continue
to grasp at straws...its how most techs (who arent trained
very well or dont understand todays engines) work.

they only fix or eliminate codes.

is your truck smoking ?? what color ? when ? do you have guages ?
whats the egt & boost pressure look like ?

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The MAP sensor, Barometeric pressure sensor and the Exhaust pressure sensor should all read the same value key on engine off. Course you need a scanner to read these values.

Possible EBP sensor tube is blocked with carbon and oil deposits. If that is the case a code may not be set. The EBP sensor is required for turbo and EGR operation with the older PCM flashes.

Have you had the recalls performed for your truck??

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
VinceJE...read some of these HERE...
if the truck doesnt have any codes then they will continue
to grasp at straws...its how most techs (who arent trained
very well or dont understand todays engines) work.

they only fix or eliminate codes.

is your truck smoking ?? what color ? when ? do you have guages ?
whats the egt & boost pressure look like ?

you know that cleaning has merit, we did that to aircraft turbines
and it suprises me that procedure to clean them with either a powder based or liquid based cleaner has not been developed
like maybe an injection point right at the inlet of the exhaust side,
hmmmm
i could see injecting under pressure a powder cleaner to abrade teh soot and rust off.....

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vince pm me...ive got autoenginuity...perhaps we can
do some trouble shooting...and see what if any codes are
set...im in tomball, cant be that far from you.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VinceJE said:
This is another chapter in my saga that started with a few minor service requests at my local stealership, Planet Ford. -mad

I mean.. this thing was acting like it was posessed. Racing, bucking, surging... Just nasty. So, I took it back in and the svc advisor actually witnesed the rough idling first hand.

HOLYWATER! :eek: WOW, this was like a flashback for me! I used to describe the demon like behavior of my '04 6.0 the same way. I went thru the same frustrations with the service department as well; "well it's this, no it's that, we think we have it exorcised now!" ha ha. It just got down right scary :eek: driving the Excursion when it had this problem. One service advisor finally told me to bring it in when they had a "Diesel Engineer from Detroit" in their shop. I guess they visit from time to time. He got it to do it and told them to replace the entire engine wiring harness (the FICM (Fuel Injector Conrol Module)wiring harness had already been replaced under a recall as they thought IT might be the problem) The problem was wire chaffing and causing shorts. The problem with it is they can't really see any chaffing without getting in there and going over every inch of the entire harness. All it takes is small rub in a hidden area of the harness and it's all over!:(

Long story longer, I have not had a repeat of the problem in over 40k miles now (has a 52k on it now). I love my 6.0 and would not trade it for anything. I think it is safe to say they have the problem fixed now.
My dealer was Alan Vigil Ford in Marrow, Georgia. Tell your dealer about this and see what they say, heck I'll PM you my VIN number so they can look up the diagnosis themselves. You gotta get that thing fixed if it's doing anything near what mine was doing! It sounds like it is! :GRD

dpantazis

Reaction score
powerboatr said:
you know that cleaning has merit, we did that to aircraft turbines and it suprises me that procedure to clean them with either a powder based or liquid based cleaner has not been developed like maybe an injection point right at the inlet of the exhaust side, hmmmm i could see injecting under pressure a powder cleaner to abrade teh soot and rust off.....

Rob't- those of us in the VW whirled have been dealing with EGR and intake systems clogging up since 1999.

There is nothing short of elbow grease and degreaser to remove the soot and oil buildup that choked out motors down. its like black oily concrete. CCV filter helps keep things clean. its about a days job to r&r and clean. degreaser, wire toothbrush, pressure washer.

And no, this problem is a 'maintenance' issue as far as VW is concerned.

dennis

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
Rob't- those of us in the VW whirled have been dealing with EGR and intake systems clogging up since 1999.

There is nothing short of elbow grease and degreaser to remove the soot and oil buildup that choked out motors down. its like black oily concrete. CCV filter helps keep things clean. its about a days job to r&r and clean. degreaser, wire toothbrush, pressure washer.

And no, this problem is a 'maintenance' issue as far as VW is concerned.

dennis

hmmm
we have been very lucky in our egr events....
i think i have a research project now.
injecting bursts of dried seed dust or almond dust or even baking soda at high speeds after the heads, into the exhuast side of the turbine but not the egr path...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh why not inject some water after the heads? Steam cleaning is very effective, and I've done it several times on gassers that were half lazy that had grandma drive syndrome. I'd take a garden hose to carb, at about 1/4-1/3 throttle. worked great. Here, we're already downstream, so the cat (if you still have one) would be the only thing I'd worry about clogging up.

Oh, and so what if you get steam in the EGR? unless it condenses back to liquid, It's not going to hurt a thing. heck, might even clean that too!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i was thinking if its down stream and engine is running say 1200 or so rpm, we could inject some power turbine wash solution to knock the gunk off the vgt ring. followed by a liberal shot of some corrosion prevative oil

before shut down

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14