Please help - need to tow more!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
As long as the trailer has good brakes I would pull it. I would not recommend a bunch of power upgrades as then your transmission will suffer but a couple of thousand pounds over the tow rating is nothing to stress over in my opinion but keep in mind that I am running 2000-3000# over my GVWR without a trailer :D I am under my GCWR when hooked to my boat or wells cargo though. I cannot imagine a fifth wheel toy hauler not having brakes.

mattski

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i give up - new truck

i have seen plenty of people who tow a 17k 5er with a 250 diesel, but i know that this doesn't make it right. I can't seem to sleep very well thinking about the liablility that's involved with an accident towing this trailer with this truck. My wife and I have our own business running group homes for teenagers with developmental disabilities. We have worked very hard and I can't stomach losing everything because my insurance company won't pay if there is an accident. We agonized over it but finally decided to get the new sd450. It's nice so far, but for the extra money i would just as soon have stayed with the '04 sd250.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe you should consider a USED tractor...30k gets you enough
cushion to pull that trailer SAFELY !

its not the trucks fault, btw, blame the trailer mfg or the trailer
sales guys for telling ANYONE it can be done.

theres such a thing as doing it and doing it SAFELY...and i cringe everytime
i see one of those 14-16k toter homes being pulled by a 1 ton....theres
just not enough safe margin in it for me...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14