Please help: tranmission/tcase angle

03Superdutyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new member just registered a few minutes ago. I have a 2003 F350 Super Duty, single rear tire, 6.0L diesel. I bought the truck with a 8.5" lift and 37" tires. I lowered it to a 6" lift and 35" tires. I have been messing with the pinon angle shims and I noticed that were spacers between the transfer case skid plate and the frame. This struck me as odd. I went to remove them and the skid plate hits the transfer case!? Now I was really confused. I have looked at over a dozen other trucks and there are no spacers. Looking closer, I noticed when comparing my truck to other, there is a difference between the space between the transmission and the body. On my truck I can fit my hand between the transmission and the body. On every other truck my hand gets stuck, a very noticeable difference. Looking at the transmission and t.case, it is noticeably angled lower than other trucks. My transmission cross member has the ford logo stamped on it and the numbers F81A5060BF 03 052. Every other truck I have looked at has a number 3C345060BB on the cross member. Can anyone help with these numbers? Also the transmission mount, front cross member, and motor mounts appear to be ford as well. There is no sort of re clock or any spacer between the transmission and t.case. I am stuck and have no idea how the previous owner changed the angle of everything? My only thought is that he changed the cross member? Please any input will help.

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi and :welcome 03Superdutyer. You want to keep the output shaft of the transfer case parallel to the pinion shaft. They should be equal in pitch; if the output shaft is up by 2°, then the pinion needs to be shimmed down 2° to match the output shaft. If not the driveshaft will vibrate like nobodies business. :)

Dave :)

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(On my truck I can fit my hand between the transmission and the body. On every other truck my hand gets stuck, a very noticeable difference.)

Sounds like your truck may have a body lift of 2in or so.
Doug

03Superdutyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A body lift was my original thought but I looked at the body mounts and they are factory. Some how the transmission and transfer case is angled lower, way lower than the carrier bearing. I am really stuck, drive shaft from the t.case to the carrier bearing is angled up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58