plow worries

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will be installing a plow on my truck this winter. i was wondering about any transmission problems or any other steering or front end related problems to look for.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Sleeper Diesel said:
i will be installing a plow on my truck this winter. i was wondering about any transmission problems or any other steering or front end related problems to look for.
Plowing is pretty rough duty for any pickup, but your truck will do it just fine. Tranny will get hot. YOu can do a couple things to help this out.

First, technique. When going at a big pile of snow, don't run up to it, put the plow against it, then hit the throttle. This will result in more slippage, and get your tranny hotter. Within reason, you want to maintain momentum and let the weight of the moving truck move the snow more than the engine and tranny. I'm not saying ram the snow pile at 60. I'm just saying don't be afraid to have a little momentum get the work done, instead of your tranny.

Second, bigger transmission cooler, and maybe even an auxiliary electric fan unti for the cooler. The low speeds seen in plowing operations can cause a situation where not enough air is getting to your cooler, and it will get hot. YOu can find these all over, Summit, several of the sponsors. Just look around, see what you can find...

As far as steering and suspension components, I wouldn't worry about it. Your truck is pretty stout, and should handle the extra weight and strain just fine. YOur weakest link is the PS pump and steering box, but there isn't anything you can do about that besides replace them if they wear out (which I doubt they will, just saying...)

As far as drivelines, as was mentioned, I don't think this will be a problem as long as you are smart about your plowing. Don't run into snow piles at full throttle and you'll probably be okay... ;) :D

Also, be careful in the back and forth driving necessitated by plowing that you are not shifting into forward when you're still rolling backwards, or into reverse when you're still rolling forwards. The newer trannies are a lot better at handling this than the older ones (especially the old Dodge 727s with the long, skinny tailshaft) but it is still harder than hell on them.

Anyway, the only other thing i can recommend is chains. They help with plowing SOOOOOO much it isn't even funny.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14