Plug in or not?

drames

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I only live a little over a mile from work and now that winter is here it seems like I spend more time idling it to warm it up them I do driving. I'm thinking about leaving it at home and driving the wife's car back and forth. The fact that it gets twice the mileage and now gas is .40 cents cheaper a gallon helps with that decision too. Anyway, I'm trying to find out wether it's better for the truck to stay plugged in 24/7 or not. Will it make any difference at all in preventing gel up? That's my biggest concern with it sitting so much.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think keeping it plugged in 24/7 would do anything but give you a big power bill. I would fill it up with number 1 fuel or treat what you have real good to keep it from gelling up. Then when you need to drive it I would plug in 12 hours before I needed it.

Yes, drive her car. LOL Just my 2cents

Doug

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
24/7 plugged in? bad idea. $20 timer from Home Depot....set it for 3 hrs before you MAY have to drive it....better idea. Anti-gel in the tank, run it for awhile to ensure it hits everywhere. Then run it what.....once a week to keep the batts charged up? Just random thoughts on this. Of course it gets nowhere near as cold here as there.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Wd & Nevrknow sez..

Our Block Heaters pull 1200 to 1500 Watts. That wattage.. 24/7.. would make for a Killer power bill.... making the .40 cents a gallon cheaper for gas, verses diesel.... a non issue ?

Not to mention what 24/7 could do to the Coolant ratio. The element tends to cook the H2o out of the glycol.... over time.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Wd & Nevrknow sez..

Our Block Heaters pull 1200 to 1500 Watts. That wattage.. 24/7.. would make for a Killer power bill.... making the .40 cents a gallon cheaper for gas, verses diesel.... a non issue ?

Not to mention what 24/7 could do to the Coolant ratio. The element tends to cook the H2o out of the glycol.... over time.

x2

I haven't gotten around to buying a timer. So I just plug it up before I go to bed. That gives it 8-9hrs on the block heater.

drames

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the responses. I think I like the timer idea.....have to try that. The way my memory is I'd be hard pressed to remember plugging it in the night before.....or I'd remember at about 3 am and no way I'm getting out of a warm bed to go out and plug it in then!!! Yes they put antigelling stuff in the fuel up here but I work with a couple guys who have still had gelling issues so I'd rather be safe then broke down!!!! I guess I just need a bigger garage.....then it would be a non-issue.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score

aquaman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but how cold is it when yall start thinking of plugging it in?

...even though the engine starts fine on its own?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but how cold is it when yall start thinking of plugging it in?

...even though the engine starts fine on its own?

With sustained temps of below 40*, it's probably a pretty well accepted to start thinking about plugging it in.. for 2-4 hours* before you need to start it. It's there, as a starting aid.. why not use it.

More important if it has sat in temps of below 40*... for a long time. (everything gets cold soaked ?)

*Best done with a 20 amp Timer (?)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58