Poor UOA with Redline 15W40

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I just got back my Blackstone report after running Redline 15W40 for the first time and the lead and copper levels are elevated -mad . Has anyone heard of a poor used oil analysis after changing to synthetic? Delo 15W40 has served me well in the past (indicated by my great Blackstone results) but I'm clueless as to what made me change to synthetic oil. I'll be changing out my oil today back to Delo and will resample my oil again soon.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only can think of one other person who had elevated levels on synthetic oil and it was a thread on TDS but he had 50k+ on his oil if I'm remembering right. Again if my memory serves me right it was JOAT but don't hold me to that.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would stick with the synthetic and see if the levels come back down. It might just be the synthetic washing things out a little better than the dino was. I would just try it but I don't know that it will come down. I personally don't sample my oil because all it does for me is causes unneeded stress and worry. It isn't like a guy is going to replace the engine if this level or that level is up a little, I just plan on driving until it blows while doing proper maintenance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree Crumm. I sampled my first three oil changes and they were basically normal. Why worry about something you have no control over. I go 5000 miles before oil changes.

Dave.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Ditto guys. I sampled once, just cuz. I change at the reccomended intervals. If I were doing extended drain w/ Bypass and Synthetics, I would invest in analysis.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I would stick with the synthetic and see if the levels come back down. It might just be the synthetic washing things out a little better than the dino was. I would just try it but I don't know that it will come down. I personally don't sample my oil because all it does for me is causes unneeded stress and worry. It isn't like a guy is going to replace the engine if this level or that level is up a little, I just plan on driving until it blows while doing proper maintenance.

Crumm, You're absolutely right that this last UOA is driving me nuts :eek: . I couldn't bring myself to using $100+ of Redline again for 4K so I'm back with Delo 15W40. I will retest again in 2.5K and sincerely hope that the levels normalize.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
When Y2KPSD had his abnormal test with synth oil I wondered if it had anything to do with the synth "cleaning" gunk out of the engine............... any word from Blackstone if that may be the case Richard?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
When Y2KPSD had his abnormal test with synth oil I wondered if it had anything to do with the synth "cleaning" gunk out of the engine............... any word from Blackstone if that may be the case Richard?

I never called Blackstone back but I did start a thread HERE at BobIsTheOilGuy.Com where they agree with you Mike. Since I can't verify that the synthetic has cleaned out any residue nor can I verify that there is bearing wear, I'm taking the cautious road by going back to Delo which I know my engine likes. When will I learn that...

"If it ain't broke...don't mess with it" ... ? :dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
hheynow said:
When will I learn that...

"If it ain't broke...don't mess with it" ... ? :dunno

Gotta agree with you here Richard, thats why I still run Delo. My truck likes it, I like the results from Blackstone and that is a winning combination IMHO.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Well since my poor UOA with Redline in August I've been on pins and needles because of their comment on my high lead readings and possible bearing wear. :eek: I switched back to Delo 15W40 and after two oil changes I had it tested again. I posted my newest Blackstone UOA. Fortunately, the high copper and lead have dropped to almost where they were before the Redline and no damage was done (except lightening my wallet for the Redline which was a waste IMO).
The chances are pretty good that the blip in copper and lead (along with iron) in the last sample were from particle streaks. They can sometimes be dramatic and it's enough to make a guy think he is losing his bearings, at least up to the last sample.

Looks like I'll be using Delo from now on.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14