Pop goes the weasel... I mean CAC boot!

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey PowerBoater - I-75 Monteagle got me! :eek: Heading Northbound side maintaining 55 mph no problem heading up and pushing about 30+ psi. 3/4 way up the mountain I hear a pssssssss and it kept getting louder! till POP then it sounded like a 747 taking off under my dash :eek: I limped the rest of the way up to the top of the mountain and pulled into a truckstop. Put it back on, got down the other side of the mountain and about 10 miles up the road and POP she went again. (these things ain't got no power without that turbo when your haulin' 10k pounds!) Put it on again, 20 miles and she popped. I had a new one put on at a Ford dealer in Murfreesboro, TN. Not an easy task on a Saturday, Memorial Day weekend to boot!. Had to drop the trailer at a kind Ford dealer in some small TN town and drive 35 miles north to Murfreesboro. They threw it on in 1/2 hour and drove back and picked up the trailer. Got 20 miles up and the new one popped!:eek: I pulled in another truckstop and this time I took the boot off totally, wiped everything down, installed the boot on the turbo first with the correct angle to the tube, then clamped the aluminum tube on last. This repair got me 2,500 miles! :thumbs All the way to Barraboo Wisconsin and back to Atlanta!

Question(s) is this, do you all carry a spare 'blue' coupling and clamp with you? Is there an afermarket boot I should be using? If so where do I get it? What is the correct torque that should be used on the clamp?

This is the first time this has happend to me since I have owned the X in 45k miles!!

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Yeah, the one on the top right! Is the blue one the new design? The people at the Murfeesburo dealer kept telling me they put the newest design on it, but it looked like the same one that kept popping to me! Is there not a better aftermarket one out there for a 6.0? I did not like driving 2000+ miles and keeping an eye one the boost gauge to make sure I did not sustain over 20psi during my trip to make sure I got home to take a closer look. I did start getting on it after I got past my big bully Monteagle! :bootyshak I started to let it rise up to 30psi for longer and longer periods with out any problem.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I dont know if it's a new design or not Greg. These parts were given to me with the 6.0 intercooler I purchased. They came from a 04 Harley which is the same year as yours? The elbow coupler I have is slightly torn into, looks like it may have been a problem for that guy aswell? He went with a Bank$ setup.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he had the same issue! On the original, the clamp was stapled to the blue coupler. After it blue a couple of times it finally tore thru. I actually now think I could have even made the original work if I had just removed the coupler from the aluminum pipe, wiped everything down, installed the coupler on the turbo first and then the aluminum pipe. When I tried it the other way everytime I started to crank down on the clamp, I could see the coupler slipping underneath the clamp.

I think I am just going to buy an extra clamp and carry it with me, I was getting worried that if it popped again I would lose my clamp on the road and I would really be hosed (no pun intended!)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Yep, had it happen to me a few times. Once with a BIG load. Broke one clamp trying to fix along the highway, so drove 15 miles with no turbo at 39K gross.:eek: Degreased boot and pipes very well, two new band clamps (lube the threads) from my buddies truck shop, torqued way up, been OK ever since. Now have and extra clamp in the truck, will probably get a boot just in case, too, but I don't think it will be an issue any more.:burnit

Gone Camping

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gone Camping

I'am having the same problem with my top hot side hose.
Every time it happens the dealership orders a new turbo.It's currenty at
the dealership waiting for the third turbo. I guess I'll be shopping for after
market hoses and clamps.

Happy Traveling
Darrell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14