Question Pops running lights fuse HELP!!

TSD73

SDD F.N.G
Reaction score
Hey Guys,I have a problem .......when the lights are turned on it keeps blowing the # 8 position 15A fuse in the underhood Distribution box,which powers the running lights ,dash lights,etc. Does this mean I need to buy a 145 dollar headlight switch???
Any help is waaaaay appreciated......thx:dunno

Fine69

Reaction score
Check your trailer light plug at the back bumper, if you have one. A lot of times they will corrode, then cause a fuse to blow. You could also have a corroded light socket causing a short to ground.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Is it just the trailer running lights, or the truck's running/tail lights also?

The fuse you described also powers the brake control illumination which is not used very often with most aftermarket trailer brake controls. If you are using the factory brake control wire harness, maybe that harness wire is grounded out?:dunno

It also powers trailer running/tail light relay coil. If you can locate that relay and pull it, it's something to try.

FWIW: I found a on-line owners manual with fuse loaction info HERE.

Last edited:

TSD73

SDD F.N.G
Reaction score
Tail gunner....yes,it's the trucks running lights too or actually 'cause there 's no trailer hooked up. I have a plow also,unhooked that plug ,no luck,took the trailer plug and tucked that into the hitch crossmember hole (for protection) no luck there either. But,thats what I was thinkin' "fine69" was to pull all the light sockets next and see whats corroded,here in Mich.they ARE NOT afraid to use salt!!!!! thanks for the quick response fellas,i'll get back to ya this saff noon!!!! out

TSD73

SDD F.N.G
Reaction score
Hey fine69......can or will my 315/75-16 Pro Comps fit my stock wheels(alum lariat type D hole) for the winter,i plow too and could sure use the x tra tire height...........some say sure,,,,,others say,no...

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they should fit just fine as long as they are the same size. i have had larger tires than that on my past superduty factory wheels. i was running 35"s on a factory wheel once. As long as you have the clearance i think you should be fine. Just my two cents tho.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hey fine69......can or will my 315/75-16 Pro Comps fit my stock wheels(alum lariat type D hole) for the winter,i plow too and could sure use the x tra tire height...........some say sure,,,,,others say,no...

they'll go on the stock wheel, but they won't pressure the tread/footprint correctly... might not work as well as you hoped..

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Does the fuse blow when you turn the headlight switch to the first click for parking lights? Or does it blow only after turning it to the 2nd click for headlights?

Fine69

Reaction score

Do you know how wide your stock wheels are? I'm sure they'll fit, but, like someone else already said, they may bulge out too much, not giving you the amount of contact on the road that would help plowing. My stock wheels are 8" wide, so my 35x12.5's fit nice and get great traction. Also, regarding your light problem. I didn't know you had a plow, I'd be willing to bet one of your snowplow light connections is probably corroded, causing your fuse to blow.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg