Porch light height

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I need to put a porch light by my new french door and I am wondering what the height should be. I wsa also going to add a loght on each side inside the house, I was planning on putting them at the same height. So is there a standard height for this? What about light switches? I have been putting my outlets 12" off the floor but I have not done anything higher yet.

stelectric

stelectric
Reaction score
light switches i put at 48" to the bottom of the box and outside wall lights i usually put at around 76" or there abouts

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also want to check with your local code enforcement authority--there may be some screwy reg about exterior lighting and it would be a shame to install a nice fixture then have to rip 'em right out when some inspector says they're 2" too low... :eek:

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
jvencius said:
You might also want to check with your local code enforcement authority--there may be some screwy reg about exterior lighting and it would be a shame to install a nice fixture then have to rip 'em right out when some inspector says they're 2" too low... :eek:

Inspector?? Why would I allow an inspector near my house? I will just stay above the height of the exsisting fixtures. This house was inspected when I bought it 3 years ago and there was no comment on the lights.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My porch lights are 84" from the porch, outlets are 12" to the bottom and the switches are 44" to the bottom. I would recommend deciding what lights you plan on using before you mount the box. We wish ours were a little lower so that we could use different style lights. With them up so close to the eave we are limited to lights that hang down rather than stand up.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
With the French doors, make sure the lights don't make contact with the doors when they are fully open.

Scott

stelectric

stelectric
Reaction score
since i own an electrical company we put our receptacles at hammer handle height which is much faster to nail them up then to use a tape measure and it is also accurate as long as they pay attention. i never liked my switches at 44" but some may .the old way was 52" but that seemed to high.after wiring over 700 houses over the years you forget how some folks think alot of things you take for granted

y2kpsd

Member #11
Reaction score
jvencius said:

RenoF250 said:
Inspector?? Why would I allow an inspector near my house?

In some communities a building permit is required when doing electrical work. Once a building permit is issued you can expect a visit from the inspector. It is entirely up to you whether you follow your local codes or not but you may not get a occupancy permit if it does not pass inspection, at least not around here you won't. In fact, the power company will not connect the power until the inspector passes the electrical wiring.

Now, if we're just talking about replacing one light fixture and switch, fergitabotit! I wouldn't let the inspector near my house either!

My outlets are only 10" but I prefer 12" and the hammer idea is an excellent one. My light switches are 44" and I like that height compared to 48" or 52". I think the National Standard is 12" for outlets and 44" for lights but I may be mistaken.

PS, No I'm not an electrician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once!

Y2KPSD

Last edited:

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I centered the lights at 74" and it looks good. I put the top of the box 48" from the ceiling so I only have to cut the bottom sheet of sheetrock.

The guy that wired the house before was switching the neutral, what was he thinking? I cannot think of a good reason for that. If anyone ever stuck thier finger in the socket to pull the center contact out they would get shocked (I know from experience).

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
stelectric said:
i never liked my switches at 44" but some may .the old way was 52" but that seemed to high.
It is probably whatever you are used to. I just walked up to a 44" light switch and closed my eyes, when I reached out to flip it my finger was right on it. If it was at 52" I would have to reach up but I am only 5'7".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim