Positive traction ???

marine6132

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2011 F250 4x4 crewcab lwb with the 6.7. I was wondering how I can tell if the front axle has a limited slip or just a open differential? Also my hubs have auto and lock on them does it mean that when I turn the hub to lock that I have positive traction? Thanks for the help and God Bless our straight service men and woman.:stir

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome to SDD. First off I doubt you have posi in the front axle, unless you ordered it. Posi in the front makes for some strange steering when the hubs are locked. The steering wheel will shake from side to side. There is a tag affixed to the front axle cover that will tell you if you do or don't have posi. Auto/Lock on the front hubs has to do with the ESOF (Electronic Shift On the Fly) four wheel drive button on the dash. If you leave them in Auto, they will engage when you shift to four wheel drive and disengage when you shift out. Lock will lock the hubs in all of the time. Not recommended for driving on the dry pavement.

Dave :)

marine6132

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. One other question , if I can shift on the fly with the hubs in auto why is there a lock position?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes you can shift on the fly in Auto. Lock is there if Auto does not engage smoothly, you have to get out and lock them manually. It is a backup for Auto.

Dave :)

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The auto function requires you to drive a few feet to engage. Manually locking the hubs will give you four wheel drive as soon as the transfer case is engaged. I usually manually cycle my hubs a few times during an oil change while the oil is draining just to keep them excercised.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58