Possible EGR problem...

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight truck started pouring white smoke, no throttle response when smoking. This happened about 3-4 times real close together. First time with my wife driving, then with me. I turned off the truck, unplugged the EGR valve, now it runs fine...never turned on the CEL, even with the EGR unplugged. Any thoughts? I also noticed some oil below the heads where they connect to the block.:rant

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turning off the truck and unplugging the egr, then starting it wil have it run with egr closed.I am sure you know that.
sure others will chime in on the heads.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats why I unplugged it. I don't know if I should take it out and clean it and re-"O"ring it, or buy a new one off ebay? I think bushpilot cleans his and re-installs it, I'll probably go that route. Tommorrow when its good and light, I'll get a better look at the oil, thinking it may be fuel? Kinda hard to believe that both heads are leaking. I just looked at everything real good last weekend and didn't notice anything. Oh, well......:drink

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wont necessarily get a check engine light if the egr VALVE
is not working properly or failed all together.

only california based trucks will turn the CEL (check engine light) on.

youll STILL have codes set.

I have cleaned mine (twice in 60+k miles)...the o-ring kit is $7 bucks
and some change. Ford part number 3C3Z-9P455-AB. Becareful NOT
to damage (bend or get cleaning fluid in the motor) the valve when
you clean it (tape off the base of the motor/actuator so cleaning
fluid can not enter the holes).

change the graphite base gasket when you re-install the valve.

FDDTS - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the motor/actuator you speak of is on the valve itself?
never had one out yet, what happens fluid gets in it then leaks into engine when reinstalled?

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would the EGR valve sticking, going bad or whatever, cause the heads to leak oil on the outside of the block? The right side is worse than the left on the back side of the engine. I did not notice the oil last weekend, it looks fresh, stll wet...

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Why would the EGR valve sticking, going bad or whatever, cause the heads to leak oil on the outside of the block? The right side is worse than the left on the back side of the engine. I did not notice the oil last weekend, it looks fresh, stll wet...

The EGR would not cause an oil leak, sounds like you have something leaking up there, perhaps turbo oil line, etc.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGR would not cause an oil leak, sounds like you have something leaking up there, perhaps turbo oil line, etc.

I got under the truck and it looks like were the rocker box fits in the head is where its leaking. I called Ford and they want me to bring it in on Monday and they will see if it qualifies for the warranty. If it does, will they fix the oil leak under the warranty?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I got under the truck and it looks like were the rocker box fits in the head is where its leaking. I called Ford and they want me to bring it in on Monday and they will see if it qualifies for the warranty. If it does, will they fix the oil leak under the warranty?

If you are within the 100K mile warranty, yes they should, but you will have to pay the $100 deductible.

Hope they get it fixed up for you. :sweet

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal!:sweet The truck has 57,000 miles and born date of 10-03. The only mod I've done is the 4" exhaust with no cat...everything else is stock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14