Possible PCM (Powertrain Control Module) Problem?

professor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For the 3rd time (in about 2 or 3 months) my 2003 F350 (135,000 miles) started harder than usual. All 3 times it has been after the truck sat all night and was the first start (that day) each time. All 3 times have occurred in warm weather (2 in the mid-morning and 1 in the afternoon). After it starts, it runs rough (like a cylinder or 2 is not working), very little power, no smoke of any kind, and after a mile or so - the truck suddenly runs perfectly and will go for weeks before the problem reoccurs.

Yesterday, a mechanic friend used his scanner/code reader on it. There were several codes displayed, but the one he felt was a possible problem was:

#P0605 - Internal Control Module ROM Error

He said that was the PCM and it may need to be replaced. Any thoughts by anybody????? If I need a PCM - any suggestions as to where it may be available?

Thanks,
Professor

professor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PCM Problem??

Dogman - thanks for the quick response. Yes, I forgot to mention I had both batteries tested at Car Quest - each tested good at 12.6+ volts.

Professor

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Professor, did they isolate each batt. for testing? If not the test is no good.

cruzer17

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Did you resolve your issue?

I'm having similiar issue, both batteries are new? Any other ideas?

wilsonbaird

wilsonbaird
Reaction score
auto computer exchange

Have you had the battery's tested? A bad batt. will give a PCM some problems sometimes. You could see if a reflash can fix it.
check with Auto Computer Exchange - Auto Computer Superstore - Cheaper than dealers and mechanics. 1-888-664-8787 there in Davie, FL.

I just want to let you guys know, I export parts, and doing so, I purchased couple times a rebuilt unit with those guys and they are not reliable, nor good!
Also, one time, I had a computer from them that did not work, and even with their own label on the box, with the precise date, they denied the guarantee just because I did not have the physical receipt on hand, even with their computer showing I had purchased that unit short time ago! And it was not the only problem I had with them. I do not want to elaborate too much here, but, definitely they do not have the "American way" of doing business! Stay away of them and you will save you lots of stress!
I started to deal with ECUDIESEL, with about the same price, and so fare, so good

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You might possibly be barking up the wrong tree.
It sounds to me like it might be the infamous Under Valve Cover (UVC) connectors.

There is a wiring harness that goes under the valve covers on each side. Those wires go to the injectors and glow plugs. Under the valve covers, there is another connector. Those connectors have a history of coming partially disconnected causing hard starting or rough running. As the engine warms up, those connection start making better contact, causing rough running conditions to go away.

The problem was common enough that Ford came out with some little plastic wedges that you stick under the locking clip of the connector, providing a more positive lock which keeps the wire connector tight and makes those intermittant problems go away.
Since the problem goes away, any associated codes for may also.

You have a code that you mentioned. Something I've learned since I started working on airplanes for a living, just because you have a failt code that says you have a "widgit" fault, that does not mean the "wigit" is bad. It means the "widgit" can't do its job. The problem might be the "widgit", it might be the wiring, or it might be another problem that is preventing the "widgit" from functioning.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58