Potential Automatic Transmission Problems Questions...

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Ford mechanic on justanswer.com had the following to say when I asked about putting in the 6.0 cooler:
"The torqshift from the 6.0L does have more surface area but the plumbing is larger. I have also heard that the trans can develop air pockets from using this cooler on 4R100 transmissions because of the larger diameter tubes. You definitely do not want any air pockets in the valve body of aerating of the fluid in the clutches because the air can compress and cause the clutches to slip and cause shifting problems in the valve body." Your comments and thoughts?

That can not happen,the oil goes back to the transmission and dumps back into the pan, I build transmissions

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The connections are larger depending on the year of the 4r100 IIRC the concern about air pockets disappears once you get the fluid flowing through it good. Any installation of a cooler on a vehicle with the input and outlet at the bottom will have a tendency to develop air pockets however the fluid being returned from the transmission cooler dumps into the pan and will have a chance for the air bubbles to get worked out. I had a similar concern with my aftermarket cooler after installation of my intercooler due to the location and plumbing logistics left me with some areas to collect air but within the first 1000 miles it was worked out and it showed on the dipstick because the fluid level in the trans dropped.

DMD yes there will be slightly more heat created when climbing due to more power being put through the trans however keep in mind that when everything is locked in place with no slippage the only extra heat being generated is against bearings & bushings which is negligible when considering the slip surfaces of the clutches that the stock cooling system is/was designed to (marginally) keep cool.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That can not happen,the oil goes back to the transmission and dumps back into the pan, I build transmissions

Hey no fair you responded while I was typing that same answer is hidden in my response above this one

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14