Help Needed power door locks went crazy today...

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i walked out to the truck this morning, hit the unlock button on the fob, and the locks just went crazy.

they kept locking repeatedly, and it sounded like they were locking with half power, because it wasnt the normal *SLAM* but more of a slow half speed *clunk*, that just kept clunking. clunk...clunk...clunk...clunk...clunk...

if i hit any of the fob or door buttons they worked, but the repetitious locking was uninterrupted by any actions of the fob or door buttons.

i had to crawl in from the back window and open the door, and then i just unplugged the module under the dash with 3 connectors in it. everything else is working perfectly, havent had any issues at all electronically other than the chaffed OD switch harness a few months ago. i had to go to work and havent had a chance to look at anything yet, but i was hoping someone has had this problem and could point me in a direction.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I think Crumm had a similar incident a few months back and it ended up being the GEM.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
A similar thing happened to me while driving on the interstate. All of a sudden both door actuators (it's a reg cab) kept clicking and the door buttons would go up and down continuously ALL BY ITSELF! It wouldn't stop no matter what I tried. I removed the driver's side door lock switch which stopped the clicking and had manual door locks for four months. Then I decided to replace the switch and it still clicked so I removed it. Then last week I decided to to install it again and now everything is fine. I still don't know what went wrong and how it fixed its own problem. :dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i figured i would plug it in, and hopefully the capacitors and whatnot would have drained and "reset" the brains in the stoopid GEM and everything may work fine. wishful thinking on my part :D

how much should i expect to pay for a GEM should it come down to it?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
well i plugged the module back in, and i tried to make it screw up again but its working fine now.

SWEET:D

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I think Crumm had a similar incident a few months back and it ended up being the GEM.
Mine was not totally out of control but it was doing strange things.

If yours turns out to be the module post #13 in this thread shows the part number and what vehicles you can get a module out of.

how much should i expect to pay for a module should it come down to it?
$363 at the dealer, $266 at Powerstrokeshop.com or $60 at the junk yard.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
ouch! thats enough money to make my truck have manual locks should that module fry.

after our weekend trip/horse show its still acting normal, so i think im good.....for a little while :D

thanks for the info crumm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58