Power mirrors are dead

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
My power mirrors have decided they would rather be non-powered mirrors.

After checking a few things, I have determined the following:
Both mirrors are dead
The fuse is good
The power is getting to the switch
The wire from the switch to ground is good

At this point I'm thinking the switch is bad.

Any thoughts/input?

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Is power coming out of the switch? I think the odds of both mirrors dying at the same time are high, so I would lean towards the switch being bad. Have you checked the ground for corrosion?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Is power coming out of the switch? I think the odds of both mirrors dying at the same time are high, so I would lean towards the switch being bad. Have you checked the ground for corrosion?
I didn't check for power coming out of the switch. I figured getting 12v to the switch was a priority item to check for.
The chances of all the servos going bad on both mirrors at the same time is nil. That's why I too was leaning towards a bad switch as the cause.
The ground wire checked good for continuity.

Have you tried to bypass the switch and apply 12v to the mirrors themselves?
Not yet, I haven't looked at that. The schematic for the switch is a bit of a head scratcher. Until I figure that out, I don't want to make things worse by applying voltage to the wrong spot.

I just ordered a new mirror switch from Rock Auto parts for a very reasonable price.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Have you tried to bypass the switch and apply 12v to the mirrors themselves?

I jumpered the pins on the connector plug after figuring which wires did what. (the actual wire colors were not in 100% with the colors on the wiring diagram) I got the left mirror to move vertically and horizontally.

Looking more & more like a bad switch.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
kent-
wire colors changed through the years.

silly question- did you have the door apart? could the connector not be seating well enough?

dp

It was fully seated. All you have to do to get the switch out is pop the trim panel up, not remove the entire door panel. The switches for the mirrors, windows & door locks are mounted to it. Pop up the front end and the entire mess lifts up. When my new switch arrives, it'll take all but 2 minutes to change.

Last edited:

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the switch I just replaced mine. Picked it up and a junk yard while i was looking for some other parts. 5 bucks is worth the risk of it goin bad soon I think. At least i know that's what the problem was.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg