Power stearing pump failure also affects brakes?

Cattflight

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im not like most of you who tool on your Super Duties but I have a reasonable knowledge of my truck. Appreciate the help with this.

Today, after a cold start, I heard a bit of a whine coming from up front when turning the wheel and pressing the brakes. I drive about 3 miles and, in a tight turn lane, something gave out and I lost all power stearing control. Maneuvered into a parking lot and, when maneuvering to get into a parking spot, I found the brakes to be extremely soft, with seemingly no power assist. Looking under the truck after, I see a ton of ATF (PS fluid) having leaked and flung all over the left front wheel well.

Obvious question: is a failed PS pump going to affect brake performance? Seems awfully coincidental.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the trucks have a hydroboost system. Which means the power steering pump provides the assist pressure to the brakes. So then if your power steering pump failed it would affect the brakes.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

2HawkFans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That would be correct. A turbo diesel pushes air into the engine unlike a naturally aspirated one pulls. Thus there isn't the traditional vacuum for a vacuum brake booster. The power steering pump provides both power assist to the steering and brake systems.

Phil

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Happened to me a week ago. Same scenario. Luckily in my driveway. High pressure line from power steering pump to brake boost had blown at the pump. Replaced that and I'm back in business. $36 if I recall vs. garage charging at least a hundred.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58