Power steering hissing

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
This truck is really starting to test me this holiday season. Still have the mystery vibration/shudder. Water pump is leaking, tensioner is whining and on the way to the parts store the power steering was making a hissing sound. Is this hissing a sign that I need a new PS pump? Are there any specail tools needed to do the job?

Scott

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's the fluid level? If it's low you have a air in the system. It requires that a vacuum of about 2-3 inches be placed on the power steering pump, to remove the air in the system. You need to let the truck idle while keeping the vacuum. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Hope this helps.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
was it hissing or moaning?
a hiss would be fluid running through the pressure relief valve in the pump.. may or may not indicate problems..
a moan would be air in the system, or fluid cavitation in the pump..

speaking of hissing & moaning..
here's a video for ya..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TFm5Epiww

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Hissing. Normally heard at full lock. Now heard whenever the wheel is turned, even at high idle (1250 rpm).

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hissing. Normally heard at full lock. Now heard whenever the wheel is turned, even at high idle (1250 rpm).

Kinda sounds like a PS pump going South, but you might try a product called..Trans-X.

Draw some of the fluid out, top the pump off with the Trans-X.. drive it.

I've had good luck with it.. but no gaurontees..

Definitely worth a shot though.

Joe

Available at AutoZone and the like ?

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I picked up a new pump and tensioner yesterday. Planning on replacing water pump, PS pump, tensioner on Saturday.

Maybe I should replace the harmonic balancer since it is the only original part left on the front of the engine.:dunno

With the move back to Washington coming, I am ok with this stuff. At 205000 miles I can't complain.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does that sometimes , always if I crank the wheel all the way but sometimes on just minor turns , usually when I'm rolling slow . I just figured it's due to the weight of the motor on the front end and the "grab of the tires " on whatever surface I'm on at the time . Every PSD I've owned has done it .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg