Power Steering hose leak!!

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Arrgghhhh! Christmas eve and I get off the highway and I have no power steering OR BRAKES!! :eek: Apparently the other day when I pulled my turbo to intercooler tubes to clean and check the couplers I reinstalled the driver's side so it was touching the hose coming out of the pump on the side closest to the motor. It has two bolts and a swivel fitting coming out of it. The fluid is pouring out of the swivel there. Can I tighten this or is it shot like an O-ring or something went bad?? Of course it's Christmas Eve and I have family to go see and I won't be able to make it or fix this until Tuesday at the earliest!! DAMN!!!!!

Any advice on if I can fix or tighten it? If not, recommendations on where to get a new hose?

Merry Christmas guys :silly Hope it's better than mine's been so far!

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK, made it back home.... with no steering power or brake assist (scary with 46" tires!! ). Power steering fluid all over the side of the truck is washed off. Will have to replace that hose Tuesday.

Did I damage/ruin my power steering pump driving it without fluid for about 10 minutes on the highway???

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Did I damage/ruin my power steering pump driving it without fluid for about 10 minutes on the highway???

I'm gonna say yes.

Ford p/s pumps absolutely hate being run low on fluid. It may still make pressure, but my guess is it's gonna howl like a banshee...

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yay.... another thing to fix -mad Anywhere you know of has good quality and a good non-deal price?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I tell ya, I get 99% of my stuff from NAPA... they have it on hand, or can get it overnight. They're not always the cheapest, but they never question me if I return something.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
My PS hose blew off the pump with a full laod of firewood on the truck. I agree, not fun. I had to order the hose through the local stealership after trying Napa, Parts Plus and all of the other places around. Mine blew over a year ago and I am still running the same pump. It does groan some at idle.

Scott

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if you do decide to keep the pump.....bleed the crap out of everything twice.
it wil help keep the whine and moan down to a liveable level, then run it a bit on the overfilled side, for some reason they love to cavitate and suck in air

sorry to hear about the line loss, bet it was a mess
no power brakes on these monsters... OUCH give new meaning to putting yout butt in the seat.
:D

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah.... an 8,000+ lbs truck on 46" tires when you're not expecting brakes to not work will skid mark something other than the road! Thank goodness there was no one in front of me stopping quickly or we would have had a car-crushing event at the least....

I'll do a search, but how to I go about bleeding the system? Any special tips or tricks to it since it runs the brake assist too? My first diesel and I had no idea it powered the brake system too!!

:santa2

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK.... well, of course once again at 5pm on New Year's Eve (the only other F'n holiday that everything closes early for and the next day) my new hose blew again! Same spot, where the high pressure hose goes into the pump.

Could these big tires be causing too much pressure and blowing the o-ring or something? I don't get it! I guess I'll change the pump this time too.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 38" tires and have never had any power steering pump or line problems. I would go to a hydraulic hose shop and have them make up a hose with a better designed fittings. I had to do this with my older chev with 44's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14