Power Steering hose leak!!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
How is up blowing off? Is the press fit joint or are the threads stripped on the pump housing?

Scott

HOTROD

slowpoke
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing,it shoots fluid all over the frame rails,and i'm running 285/70/18s.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I would see if you can get a hose shop to build you a high pressure hose. There are a lot of folks running big tires around here and I haven't heard of this happening very often.

Scott

Crazy Cowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK, well I got another hose (Advance Auto Parts gives you lifetime replacement at least) and it was easy to remove the second time since I knew how to get at it. While I had it off I felt inside the pump's high pressure hole and the hole inside where the pressure fitting wedges into felt like it might have been overtightened before because the edges of that inside hole were jagged. Hard to explain in words, but when you smoosh a pressure fitting too tight, something will bend or stretch and I think it was the hole. I never checked the original hose though.

I made sure the intercooler tube was not touching it by loosening the upper coupler and rotating the tube a little so it brought it away from the hose, then retightened the coupling. Apparently the tube was rubbing the metal part of the hose on the original because the foil was worn away on the bottom right there where the hose was. That may have done it...?

One other thing I tried this time was putting a large black tie-wrap around the filler neck of the pump, not interfering with the cap, and around the metal section of the hose. Lightly pulling the hose up and toward the pump. This way the hose does not swivel or vibrate / move around much, if at all. So far, so good... not a drop.

If it happens again I'll post after I change the pump and hose. I don't think I need a high pressure hose. As stated above, I know many guys with big tires running stock steering and no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14