Power Steering Leak

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a leak that's very hard to locate in the bay; I have a general idea due to the amount of fluid thats coated the outer tie rod. However, with the amount and time it been leaking there's fluid everywhere. I've cleaned it once before but it slimed up within a week, making an acurate diagnoses difficult. With everything so crammed together in there (very dark, tight spots) it's hard to tell what's what.

So far, I have read every possible solution from tightening down the lines to replacing everything; way too much time and $$$ for that (too much downtime). Someone had also mentioned a fitting on the back of the pump that comes loose, but I can't find it either.

Please help if you can; my pump's starting to whine again and I'm eating through fluid in gallons now.:dunno:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
could be the gearbox leaking..
better bet would be the shaft on the pump..

clean it off real good, fill it up again, and have someone crank it to full lock and hold it there while you look at it from all angles..

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, you may have to take it somewhere and have a dye put in to see where it's leaking. They can use a blacklight to see where the dye comes out. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58