Power steering problem, truck down!

femurphy77

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
O.k. this is more of a 9-1-01/2 than 9-1-1 but confusion has set in and the trucks on the rack. My steering has seemed to have some slop in it from the start and power assist was practically non-existent at parking speeds or stopped. I've always assumed a worn out steering box, (260,000+miles). The mild leak that it has had for some time has progressed to the point now that I have to add a pint of fluid in the morning to go to work and a pint in the evening to get home, what a mess underneath! This morning we go under it to replace the gear box and if I'm seeing things correctly there are no hoses going to the gear box! I know the hydroboost takes care of the power brakes but does this also handle the power steering up on the firewall instead of down at the gearbox. In crawling around under the truck it appears that the fluid leak is coming from the ps pump but are me lack of power assist coming from the firewall or the gearbox? I've had hydroboost before but it was on one of those trucks with a bowtie and it only handled the brakes. I saw in another thread that a loose tensioner on the serpentine could cause a loss of power assist without giving any audio indications so I'll check that whilst I await enlightenment on my other questions. TIA.

Frank
2000 F350 4wd Super Duty
260,*** miles looking for the 500k mark

femurphy77

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
O.k., far enough into it now to see the light. After removing the air intake tubes I spotted the lines going into the gearbox. Leak is definitely from the ps pump and tensioner does seem to be a little loose so it appears problem is solved, thanks for the assistanc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14