Power steering problem

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
PSDfreak said:
You cannot get to the 3 bolts unless you have the pulley off. Same goes with putting it on.
I was thinking that but then I got to thinking that was the vacuum pump. Is the vacuum pump the same way? On one of them the shaft goes right through the mounting bracket.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well that wasn't the problem. :( I just spent my Sunday replacing it instead of watching football and it is still exactly the same. Any more ideas of what it could be?
Again, Thanks for the help!

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is only two things it could be , pump or box. You did the cheaper of the two first

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK, So the box is about $150? How do I change that?
Why is it only to the right that it is hard to turn? It just doesn't make sense to me???

Thanks again for the help!

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to me either, the pump is sure not the problem. It could be the amount of play you have,(in the box) I have seen this before, the amount of play can have the same effert as a pump. It is like when an oil pump in an engine goes bad, the pressure decreases. It might be easier to turn one way or the other just by the way the fluid enter's the pump or the clearence between the gears

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
This isn't exactly how the steering box works but will give you the general idea.

The steering gear that moves the wheels is sort of loosely connected to the part that is turned by the steering wheel. The upper part has sort of like a "hydraulic valve" inside. When you turn the steering wheel either way and it moves from the point the upper part is centered on the lower part, it causes fluid to enter one side so the steering gear catches up to the steering wheels position.

Sounds like yours either has a fluid leak internally in one direction, or something in the control valve is stuck. Kind of odd the way you describe it tho, as often these type steering box problems also result in a "pulling" feel in one direction.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No, it drives pretty strait. Sometimes it seems to pull slightly to the right. But, again, While I am moving I can turn either way. A little harder to the right, but barely noticable. How hard is it to change the box?

Thanks for the explanation of the gear box. That makes it make more sense. If there was an internal fluid leak, my fluid would still go down in the res tho right? It is always full??

Thanks! Keep the info coming!!!

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
You wont lose any fluid from an internal leak.

The box is relatively easy to change. You'll need to rent a pitman arm puller. The hose fittings are likely metric, and you'll want the tubing wrenches so you don't mess them up. Fairly straight forward but it's a heavy pig, so kind of a pain to hold up there while you're trying to get the bolts back in.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Hey Don, good to see you on the board!

Anyway, one this I thought I might add as I think its on topic...I have been noticing lately that I have a creeking noise in the front end...Took it to a local front end shop to have it checked out. EVERYTHING checked out ok (Ball Joints, Drop Bracket Bolts, Tie Rod Ends, Engine Cross Member Etc....)

Guy took the truck back off the rack and had me get in and start it...Without moving at all I turned the wheel back and forth (not much) while he listened....it was creeking slightly as I went back and forth. He told me that about a week ago he had an F-350 in the shop and found that the frame was cracked behind gear box...I had never heard of that before, but thought it MIGHT be just another to check out if you have th box off anyway. My steering is great but I am going to pull the box this weekend and see what I see.

-Casey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14