Power steering problem

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Hey Casey,

The crack behind the steering box is fairly common if you lift the truck but don't use a drop pitman arm. Saw several that had been welded and were re-cracking. Worth checking if you have the steering box off.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
There is a drop pitman arm on my truck...Does the stock pitman arm have any drop to it or is it completely flat? I dont have any reason to take th box off other than to check for the crack but maybe the original poster could check it out while hes at it.

-Casey

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Too much angle between the tie-rod and the pitman arm. This will cause the Pitman arm to "flex" until it cracks. That is why the dropped pitman arm, to get the forces of the steering to go straight to the arm where it has some meat to handle the forces.

Dave

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally saved up enuff money to do the gear box. And it finally went out the rest of the way. Has worked to the left since this thread was started. Until today.
So I got the gear box and rented the pitman arm puller. The pitman arm will not budge. I broke the end off the puller and punched myself in the face pretty good in the process. So I thought, oh well, another $35 aint gunna kill me so I figured I would just take off the arm from the other end and get a new are. It wont budge off that end either. The puller for that just spreads wider and wont budge it either. I heated the gear box end with a torch and it still wouldn't give.

Any suggestions on getting it off?

Thanks,

KC

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You have to tighten the puller down then beat the end of it with a big hammer then tighten more and so-on. Just tightening without thumping it will do nothing but break the puller. Beating on the side of the arm where the bolt goes through helps too.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will get another puller and try again! I am going out of town right after, so I wont be able to reply til Saturday.

KC

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
When in doubt get a bigger hammer ;)

OH YES! :sweet

The Pitman Arm can be a PITA to get off at times.

I know we broke 2 pullers trying to get mine off last time! :cussing:

It will come off, just gotta work at it. :cussing:

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got it off! Took it to a friends shop. His puller was a little more beefy. And with air tools, it came right off. I can finally turn to the right! Takes a little getting used to after 6 months like that. I keep almost running off the road around a curve cause I turn so hard. LOL
Thanks for all the help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14