power steering pump replacement?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well guys,

after getting an assignment to Germany and deciding to take my truck, I have had nothing but problems with it lol!. but that's ok cause I'd rather them happen here in the states instead of across the big pond. anyway, I'm thinking I'm just going to replace my power steering pump. about 3 weeks ago, I noticed it whining a bit. So, I added some fluid and it went away. I figured I would flush it for good measure and so I did with mobile 1 synthetic ATF. well, a few days later, I notice it leaking. It's a slow leak, but still a leak. about 1 week ago, I notice my brake pedal feeling really soft and I damn near have to push it to the floor to get this big sumbitch to stop. not sure if this is related or not. I figured since I'm taking it overseas, just go ahead and replace the power steering pump and any other pertinent parts that go along with it.

What other parts/peices for the PS pump should I replace?

Does anyone have a link to a wiki or video for replacing the PS pump?

I plan on going all Motorcraft parts with whatever I do.

Thanks for any help with this guys. I'm open to any and all suggestions as always!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is pretty much a drain and replace effort. Refill and turn the wheel from left to right and back several times to get the sir out of the system. Check the fluid level as you do this. Check the brake pedal and it should be good. After reading your posts, I might suggest a coolant filter be added to yout truck. Easy to do Amazon has them.

Dave :)

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So are you suggesting I just repeat the flush procedure again? That sounds very similar to what I did to flush it.

And on the coolant filter, do you mean the cooling filter like dieselsite or sinister diesel has? do you happen to know that the one on amazon is called?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Picked up a P/S pump, both high pressure lines, and pulley removal tool from Napa today all for under $200 including the core charge. I really wanted to go motorcraft, but couldnt bring myself to spend $600 for parts. Plus I read good reviews about the napa one and it is supposedly quieter than the ford pump. got the pump pulled tonight. gonna try to finish it up tomorrow after I get off of work. I'm also trying to clean up as much residue while I have everything pulled. Managed to remove the foil from IC pipe. now I just have to all the damn glue off!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr