Power Steering sucks

shortstroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 01' PSD w/140K on the ticker. My problem is when sitting still the truck acts like it has no power steering, if you move a little bit the steering feels fine. It doesn't whine and the reservoir is filled to the proper level. Does anyone have a clue what it could be (the pump or steering box is all thats left right)

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 01' PSD w/140K on the ticker. My problem is when sitting still the truck acts like it has no power steering, if you move a little bit the steering feels fine. It doesn't whine and the reservoir is filled to the proper level. Does anyone have a clue what it could be (the pump or steering box is all thats left right)

Sounds normal to me--I wouldn't worry about it.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does that sometimes also. Have to two hand it. But does it everynow and then.

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks seem to do it from time to time when you run anything wider than a stock tire. I had 28575R16s on the front for awhile, and mine did it in my driveway without fail. When I changed to 255 / 85 R16 it cleared right up.

I'd say that your truck is probably fine, and that this is just one of those "characteristics" that you'll have to put up with, unless you want to install one of those off-road hydraulic ram assist steering kits.

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drive a 2000 F-550 tow flatbed towtruck...i noticed the same, but i just got use 2 it

jobaa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my 2000 4X4 has always done it. has stock size tires. can't turn if you're standing still. i have several friends with the SD's and they all do it. i have one friend who had his steering modified by putting a slave cylinder on the steering linkage and his turns fine with one finger. cost about $1000. i'll keep mine the way it is thanks. you'll get used to it.

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
Our trucks have what is called Hydroboost, the brake system uses fluid from the PS pump to apply pressure for the brakes. Try turning your wheels with out the brake depressed on level ground in the sand/dirt, is it easy. Also when sitting still you have a helluva heavy engine sitting right on top of the wheels you are trying to turn. Also remember our PS pumps use ATF instead of power steering fluid.

dmd

Reaction score
Take your foot off the brake and it is easy to turn, at idle there isnt enough
for brake and turning when sitting still...

Shouldnt be turning when sitting still anyways, too hard on the linkage. Rolling just slightly uses less brake and there is less turning resistance.

Just the way these trucks work...

Talking about the way these trucks work, do you have a spare CPS yet.. :)

rpenner54

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What kind of ATS fluid do you all use? Mine has 225k on the ticker and long long long before I ever knew anything about these I added a bit (one-two capfulls) of regular powerstearing fluid. I would like to swap my fluid out but don't know which type would work best. Don't have the factory manual either... :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58