Question Power steering

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Hello SDD Well I have been working on my front and rear suspension the last couple weeks. To make a long story short I had to pull the steering box off and take to a shop to pull the pitman arm to I could install the drop pitman arm.

Reinstalled gear box filled with fluid and worked the wheel a few times But something don't feel right between turning and pushing on the brakes. the brake fill good but the steering will act like there is power steering and sometimes the is not. is there still air in the system or did I fry something.

Thanks for the help in advance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will have to "cycle" the wheel many times to get the air out. There is a lot more fluid in the system than in a normal steering only system. Did you check the fluid level after installing the steering box? Let us know...

Dave :thumbs

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Well that's where I screwed up I got in a hurry had the wife start the truck and tried to turn the wheels and it would not work then I remembered I needed to add fluid she shut it down I added atf fired it up and started working.

But I have not really drove it yet waiting for my other track bar bolt to show up to get installed so I can drive it. I might have hurt the pump not sure but it not noisy. And it could have a lot of air in the system yet to.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Dave said.. Add fluid, cycle the wheels Full Left & Full Right and bump it against Full left.. Full right (yul hear the pump squeal a bit). Shut it down for a few, check the fluid and do it again. Drive it. Do the same thing until it feels right. Might take several of the above until you've purged all the air out ?

It's a easier on the pump if you jack the weight off the tires ?

Joe

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
My 06 had noises and air issues from day one and finally changed out fluid but that didn't help. Found a service manual that had you pull slight vaccum on reservoir cap while working the system. Works great now. 06 might be different than your 03 tho

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help I worked on it a little more tonight and it seams to be working better I will do it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Update I have worked the system a few time and flushed it as well seam to be a lot better the only thing I have noticed is the pump wine's and I don't recall this before.

I will drive it for a while see if it clears up if not I will replace pump. Thanks for all the input and help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg