power window problem, help!

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
So my driver's side window stopped going down yesterday. Every once in a while it does work and goes down fine. No binding or dragging, so it's not a regulator problem. It also goes up fine too. When I bought my truck, the pass window did the same thing and I replaced a relay under the hood and it fixed it (don't know how since the relay isn't supposed to control the window per the OM.) Any ideas? I can hear the one touch relay clicking and i swapped it out with the horn relay, and that didn't do anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the fuses under the dash panel? You say that it works once in a while. Does it not work sometimes or do you not use it that often? Maybe the motor has finally given out.

fgtex

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger rear window does this. It stared one day when I was in a hurry to put up all the windows and was trying to put 3 up at the same time. Don't do that! :nono: That window quit going up when I was trying this. I wound up leaving it that way for an hour at my sons baseball practice. When I got back in I tried the window again and it went up. Ever since then it has been intermitant going up. Always works going down but sometimes gets about 3/4 way up and just stops. I have not had time to dive in and look for the gremlin yet. Anyone else experienced this? :dunno

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GREG that sounds like a relay/load issue...perhaps the relay got
too hot (from the load of 3 motors running)...might now be an issue
of burnt contacts inside the relay...

i DONT know where the window relays are...but itd be worth
checking out.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
GREG that sounds like a relay/load issue...perhaps the relay got
too hot (from the load of 3 motors running)...might now be an issue
of burnt contacts inside the relay...

i DONT know where the window relays are...but itd be worth
checking out.

Thanks Bush, I had it in the back of my head (maybe my dad screaming at me when I was younger) not to do more than one to two windows at a time. Shows ya what happens when ya get in a hurry! :doh: I just gotta get in there and start tracing things. Might look at the switch first and trace to relay(s) wherever they may be. Seems to have been working ok for the past week (window goes all the way up :dunno :dunno )

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
greg its just a guess...and fwiw i just ran 3 of mine up (and down)
yesterday when i had the kids and the sheep dog in the truck :oops:
guess i wont do that anymore

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
So I ripped the door apart today at lunch because it was driving me nuts. I could hear the relay clicking when i hit the button, but the lights weren't dimming because of the motor strain, which was wierd. After taking the switch apart, i realized it's a bad one touch button. There is a little button in between the two front switches. If you pop the button cover off and hit this, the window goes down in one shot. Hit the button down and it goes down normal. Put the button cover back on and no go. Looks like some dirt and crap has built up and is causing it to try to put the window down at the same time it's trying to use the one touch down feature. Guess it cancel's out somewhere. New switch is 80 bucks so I'm gonna try contact cleaner first. Thanks for the replies.

Dan

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg