Power window question;

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a slight question if anyone else has had a similar issue;

When I bought my truck (01 7.3) 3 weeks ago my driver side power window was moving slower than it should. I had my front hubs replaced (warranty) as they were seized in either Lock or Auto, text was rubbed off too. They also 'lubed' up the window, worked great for about a week.

Just the past three days it was slowing down again, so I went to a parts store today and grabbed a can of Silicone spray, sprayed down the tracks.. and I got across the window alittle bit to maybe lube up the rollers. Works perfect.

Does anyone think this might be a motor problem? I'm definently not going to keep spraying silicon every two weeks to keep the window from sticking. I'm going to just replace the motor under my own time and money if that's what I believe it'll need, don't want to leave the truck another half day at the dealership.

Thanks.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks.

It's not just when it's winding up, it's also slow going down too. It also (without the silocone I just did) would momentarily stop, slightly moving the window back and forth and playing with the switch 'unstuck' it.

If the window gets slow again in a week then I'm going to order a new motor.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I think I'd put a regulator in it... that's usually where the play comes in that can lead to binding....

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the regulator, not the motor. There is a cable wire than runs in the window regulator and it's close to impossible to lubricate without removing.

I think you have only been lubricating the slides or track. That is only half what is needed.

Typically the window regulator cable gets all junked up with dirt and when you roll the window down all that junk goes inside the window regulator.

I have replaced three window regulators on my Crown Vic (different doors) and each one had a dirty gritty substance on the cable. After the new regulator was installed it ran like the day I bought it new.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so the regulator is most likely the culprit. Thanks for the help guys.

Right, I've only lubed up the tracks just to get a temporary fix so my window does actually operate.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been almost a month, and the window has still been functioning properly in 60 down to 34 degree weather without replacing anything, just a little silicone spray down the tracks.

We'll see how long until it slows down again.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
My driver window flies up, and flies most of the way down, but when it hits the last few inches going down it often comes to a complete stop, and I can't even really force it down. Sometimes it goes smooth, but it's pretty rare. Similar symptons with similar causes or does it sound like something different?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl