Question powerlock "weak"

jbo561

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my powerlock does not function properly. They appear to be "weak", not having enough power to go up or down. the truck is a '01. maybe the actuators are just old and worn out :dunno. thanks for any help!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my powerlock does not function properly. They appear to be "weak", not having enough power to go up or down. the truck is a '01. maybe the actuators are just old and worn out :dunno. thanks for any help!!

Yep.. I'd betcha they're old & tired. I had to replace both of mine, about 2 years ago..... on my 2K.

Check out the SDD sponcors for a source.. the Ford Dealer prices are a Rip Off.

Joe

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
my 05 is doin this... its bad cause i jump out and it the lock botton and get about 2 steps from the truck and think.. did i hear a click then go back the doors will be unlocked.. that or on my 05 when you lock the doors from the button and no the remote the turn signals and parking lights flash when the door shuts.. like they do when you hit the remote lock botton...

im guessing i have the same problem? about how much do they run Joe?

btw welcome to SDD jbo561.. glad ya found us!!! sorry i can't help ya out but if this fixes your problem maybe you can write back and help me out :thumbs and vice-versa of course

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile Nate but I wana say it was about $100 for the pair.. from a Ford parts sponsor guy on here.

Be ready tho.. lotsa linkage clips... places where you need an extra finger.. like that.

When/if you commit to doing it.. it's a good time to install some Jimmy Jammers too ?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
It's been awhile Nate but I wana say it was about $100 for the pair.. from a Ford parts sponsor guy on here.

Be ready tho.. lotsa linkage clips... places where you need an extra finger.. like that.

When/if you commit to doing it.. it's a good time to install some Jimmy Jammers too ?

thats definitely a good call... money is tight with christmas just around the corner so for now im just going to make sure they lock lol.... thanks for the info

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I used to "fix" mine. It has lasted for 3 years so far and is a heck alot cheaper than any others out there, you just have to engineer them a small amount (how to mount them and attach to the lock bar). Your choice but I know others have used this type as well.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
that looks like a good deal.... was it very hard to figure out how to mount it in there? is this just a somewhat "replacement" for the factory motor

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strokepower, what you have to do is mount the accuator close to the rod that goes to the lock rod (you would push down to lock manually) and it has (I think) 2 clasp that attaches to the rod. Then you cut the existing wires going to your lock and hook up to the 2 wires to the accuator and check to see if it is going the right way you want it to (lock and unlock). Then find a good place that is out of the way of the window rolling down and the door panel placed back on and then you got POWER door locks again. The first one in front and the first one in back will take you about 1 1/2hr to figure out then the other one will take about 25-45 min each. Quick and cheap fix. Like I said mine has been working about 3 years now and if one goes bad then I know for 5 bucks I can replace it about 6 or 7 times (or even more) again before I get to the price of the OEM ones. Good luck and SAVE MONEY!

JSchuricht

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you have a little time and some basic tools, you can fix the locks for almost nothing. It is usually the resistor in the power lock that dies. The resistor is in the lock so if the switch is held down, the motor dosn't die.

What I did to my passenger lock about 3 years ago, and just recently the driver side lock is to bypass the resistor. To do this, you need to pull the lock out of the door, drill out the rivets, open the motor and wrap the resistor with foil.

The link is for a F150, but it is basically the same.
How To Fix Failing and Sluggish Power Door Locks .: Ford Truck Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58