Powerslot Rotors, Hawk LTS Pads...couple pics and review

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do a good writeup, but there are super detailed ones available on the net, and my motivation to take pictures waned quickly when the rain meant I had to pull my hot-just-drove-30-minutes truck into a 21'x12' non ac-ed garage and it started to flirt with 115* in there

Parts/chemicals I used:

Powerslot rotors Front
Hawk LTS Pads F/R
CRC Brake Cleaner (whole bottle...which by the way dissolves garage floor paint....woops)
CRC Brake Quiet Dressing stuff
CRC synthetic installer series brake/caliper grease (good to 600*F)
Two big bottles of Prestone DOT 3
Liquid Wrench to get the rear rotors loose
150 grit sandpaper to sand the rear rotors (per hawk instructions when reusing rotors)

So, here's just a few pics:

The new hotness :D :D :D
IMG_1999.jpg

So...front axle goes up on jackstands, take the tires off, calipers, caliper brackets...and you get this:

IMG_2000.jpg

and this

IMG_2001.jpg

take your rotor off....pirate4x4? anyone? bueller?

IMG_2002.jpg

Here is a closeup shot of my caliper slide pin:

IMG_2004.jpg

Its worn enough that I would have liked to replace it, but it was Sunday at 5pm and I already mentioned the 115* degree thing, so I greased it up and reassembled the bracket.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reinstalled the bracket, put the new pads in with CRC disc quiet

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

little closeup of the pad-seperating-pins. These things made slipping the caliper back on pretty dicey with the quiet-goop all over the pads.
IMG_2008.jpg

this is where i completely fell off the picture train. here's the last pic i got, of my rears with the caliper ready to go back on:

IMG_2010.jpg

SO... looking at the pictures sunday night, I realized my rotors were on backwards. I never even thought to check to the p/n as I installed them. I'm not used to fancy directional parts. I busted it all apart again last night and fixed it, but since I removed the entire caliper bracket it took maybe 20 minutes start to finish.

I then bled the system to get some new fluid in there, which was good because the fluid that came out looked like green paint. My helper spent about 90 minutes pumping the pedal but it finally came clean at all 4 corners. I'm going to buy a power bleeder.

Went and did the burnishing instructions per the hawk pad box (which is kind of hard to do when you live downtown in a large city). The pedal feel is DRASTICALLY improved, I forgot how much better bleeding your brakes can make them feel. Much firmer. The stopping power at first wasn't really that impressive, but its improving by the stop and already much better than the ford brakes that came off.

Paul

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
SO... looking at the pictures Sunday night, I realized my rotors were on backwards. I never even thought to check to the p/n as I installed them. I'm not used to fancy directional parts. I busted it all apart again last night and fixed it, but since I removed the entire caliper bracket it took maybe 20 minutes start to finish.
I was a little luckier than you were on this. I found my mistake before reassembly when I did my ART's. First rotors I had ever replaced that had a driver or passenger side. I think you will love the brakes.
Went and did the burnishing instructions per the hawk pad box (which is kind of hard to do when you live downtown in a large city).
Keep in mind that if sometime down the road your rotors feel like they may be becoming warped, doing a re burnishing as per the instructions will probably fix the problem. Did on my truck. These brakes are made to be worked a bit.
Nice write up.
Jim

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Very good write up.............thanks for sharing.

I am going to turn 200K in the next few days and really need to redo my brakes complete with new calipers.

My helper spent about 90 minutes pumping the pedal but it finally came clean at all 4 corners. I'm going to buy a power bleeder.

LOL.................the last time I bleed the brakes on one of our cars I had "my helper" doing the pumping. I would loosen the bleed screw and nothing was coming out. Tried the other side and still nothing. I am thinking man this is jacked up!!!

Got off the floor and stepped around the door to see what the problem was..............she was pumping the accelerator pedal. ARRRGG!!! :cussing:

Tbar

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got off the floor and stepped around the door to see what the problem was..............she was pumping the accelerator pedal. ARRRGG!!! :cussing:

Tbar[/QUOTE]

But, You Love Her:roflmao :roflmao

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Tbar

THAT is pretty classic. good times, haha

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
another brake rotor thread.. :Lala

last time we had this discussion, my truck came up with a brake shake about two days later... :doh:

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe dumb question:

What's the red goopie stuff on the outside of the pads and what does it do?

Thanks,

Al

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58