Question Pre March 99 vs Post March 99 Hubs - Interchangeability?

Dragon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi, GREAT FORUM! :clap:

I have a Pre March 1999 F-250 SD, SRW, 4X4 and the left front bearing/hub is shot. I have searched the forums and could only find this thread and another one that wasn't very helpful. Question is...can I use the post March 1999 hubs on this axle. I realize I will have to replace the rotors also to a post 1999 set. My VIN is 1FTNW21S3XEC92806 and the front axle tag is: 4.30 VF81A RK 610654-3. I do know it is a Dana 50.

I found a Ford parts site and narrowed the pre 99 part down to a P/N 1104, but it is incomplete. When I did a detailed search on "1104 hub" I found that the P/N should be F81Z-1104-XX. The XX shows 4 different parts, CH, BG, DG and ED. Does anyone know the difference in the 2 letters and which hub I really need? Also, if I can indeed change the hubs to post March 1999, what is the correct part number? the guys a both local Ford dealers didn't even know there was a difference in parts as of 3/1999. So much for Quality!

Anyhow, thanks for the time to reply... :hail

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. Welcome to SDD.

Yes, you can use post 3/99 hubs on your pre 3/99 axle. I did this swap about two years ago. Go to Rockauto.com and you can find the hubs labeled pre and post dates. I will look through some of my book marks for information on the swap.

Dragon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks Dan! I am more concerned with the Part Numbers. I just saw those pages and made them into PDF files so I can go step by step. THANKS a million!

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to swap brake rotors as well to use the new hub assembly ? I am getting ready to do this and was told I would . I need one new hub bearing assembly but the dealer doesn't keep the old style anymore . I really like factory parts and get really good deals on them so I want to stick with them .

Never mind I see that in the original post as well .

Last edited:

Dragon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bad Night,

Yes, you have to change the rotors to the post 3/99 part. Well...bad news. I just fininshed taking my left wheel assembly apart. I am so lucky I didn't have a catastrophic failure! Not only is the hub shot, it destroyed the knuckle and the axle shaft. I have had trouble with this left side wheel since I purchased the truck new. Apparently the factory didn't seat the seal properly and over time water destroyed the bearings. Good thing I didn't keep driving it! Now, I need the driver's side knuckle, axle shaft, hub, seals, o-rings and auto-hub. I found the Dana 50 diagram and part numbers, but the two major parts I need, the knuckle and the hub, are not listed. It says 'contact vehicle manufacturer'. Wow...another major expense I can't afford! At least she's paid for...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
You guys should look into the new style hub parts from dynatrac. I think its the same stuff you guys are lookin at. It makes it so you dont need to replace the whole hub assembly when the bearing goes out. Its a repackable cone bearing set up. Its pricey but its serviceable and alot stronger. There is another company too but cant think of the name.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I spent the better part of the day trying to help my roommate get his 2000 F350 front bearings out, only to find that they are the unit bearings and can't be serviced. Ordered a pair from Ford and the truck sat for a few days. I do not like this kind of stuff that Ford pulls. :( :(

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14