Pre-pump and in tank mods

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
OK so today I was going to do my fuel system mods. I did some searching and have some questions about different ways to do them. First it was raining so hard out this morning I didn't get a chance to measure the line hose size for the pre-pump mod. 5/16 or 3/8. Do I really need to go with the larger style pre filter or would a napa 3007 or puraltor 805 be ok. Cost is a concern on this issue. I read of some people going from the tank to pump with hose because of restrictions in the hard line?? Is 5/16 really big enough for these engines.? I'm sure thats the size that has been refered to in some links that I found. The instuctions that I found for the in tank mods seem easy enough, just hope I have run my tank down low enough so its not to heavy (under 1/4 tank). I've been putting this off for a long time so any replys (for or against) would be helpfull.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
OK so today I was going to do my fuel system mods. I did some searching and have some questions about different ways to do them. First it was raining so hard out this morning I didn't get a chance to measure the line hose size for the pre-pump mod. 5/16 or 3/8. Do I really need to go with the larger style pre filter or would a napa 3007 or puraltor 805 be ok. Cost is a concern on this issue. I read of some people going from the tank to pump with hose because of restrictions in the hard line?? Is 5/16 really big enough for these engines.? I'm sure thats the size that has been refered to in some links that I found. The instuctions that I found for the in tank mods seem easy enough, just hope I have run my tank down low enough so its not to heavy (under 1/4 tank). I've been putting this off for a long time so any replys (for or against) would be helpfull.
I believe I ran 5/16(someone correct me) from the tank to the pump and by doing that you eliminate the stock air inducing connections on the hardline,I have the 3007 just a foot upline from the pump and it's almost time to change it.

I had to run the tank to empty on our Excursion due to it's pretty heavy even when dry.

Bill

Reaction score
If your tank is not empty - use a floor jack. Do not place the jack alone under the tank - use a section of say 2x6 to span the tank. Your assembly in the tank is driectly in the middle. Use of the floor jack will come in handy because you will need to lower the tank part way and then unhook your lines and electrical connections. - don't forget the small vent line in the rear of the tank.

It's not the size of the existing line from the tank to the pump causing the reason for change - it's the connectors allowing air into the system. Either size will work fine.

You can use any filter that you like -reason for adding the filter is that you are getting rid of the intank screen. So as long as the filter does as good or better than that screen - then your doing the minimum needed.

Ron

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
I have pics of one of the in-tank mods you need to do.

www.forgotton.net/diesel/intank/index.htm

Click that.

If you have a helper or two, its almost easier to remove the bed than to mess with dropping the tank. Its really 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
The convenience of the pickups is the ability of raising the beds for this great mod:sweet

Thanks for the photos Daryl :cowboy: :cool:

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
I have pics of one of the in-tank mods you need to do.

www.forgotton.net/diesel/intank/index.htm

Click that.

If you have a helper or two, its almost easier to remove the bed than to mess with dropping the tank. Its really 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
Thanks for the pics Ford_Forgotten and the replys from Ron and Bill. I got er done today. Still raining so I went to town and used a shop with a hoist. I made one bo-bo, wrong filter because I went with 3/8 line from tank to pump and I had purchased the napa 3007 for 3/16 line. :dunno I'll return it tomorrow and see if they have one in 3/8. It is quieter already and its not that bad to do. The trailer is hooked up and the kid is going to pick up a new toy for muddin (90 bronco ranger XLT), so it will get a towing test right away too. O ya 2 hrs. start to backed out and cleaned up. :thumbs I used a wire tie to hold up the line on the mixing valve as it looked to close to the float rod. Took a pic but haven't had time to try to post it.

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
Should have taken that mixing valve out while at it. It is one of the main causes that if you do get air that it cant get out. Also, if you get lower that 1/4 tank that duck bill valve can leak air.

Mine was much quieter when I made the mods and seems o get more all the time. When I installed the X-car under dash sound panels, that make a big difference too. Can now hear the wind and tire noise, and I have stock like tires.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
dmd said:
Should have taken that mixing valve out while at it. It is one of the main causes that if you do get air that it cant get out. Also, if you get lower that 1/4 tank that duck bill valve can leak air.

Mine was much quieter when I made the mods and seems o get more all the time. When I installed the X-car under dash sound panels, that make a big difference too. Can now hear the wind and tire noise, and I have stock like tires.
I left the valve in because I don't beleave it will leak as I was worried that the compresstion fitting could be more trouble in the future. I really don't have a problem with the duck bill valve as this is the first time it has ever been under 1/4 tank. I did pick up the right filter at napa today (3253 napa gold) 3/8 in and out, 120 mesh screen, and diesel compatable. While I was waiting for my tank to get low enough to work on diesel went from $2.04 to $2.19 and was $72.00 to top it off. :cussing: :cussing: Next on the to do list WW.

AKPSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Install directions

f100cleveland said:

Hey
Diesel Innovations has a good write up on the tank and pre-pump install on their website under tech info. I used their kit, but I'm sure the instructions would be helpful to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg